Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cool WARNING: Honey extractor - Betterbee vs. Brushy Mountain

I have been researching basic honey extractors for about a year now, really delving into it over the last month or so. I narrowed it down to two models:

Deluxe Compact Extractor $375, model number DCE1 from Betterbee

Compact Deluxe Extractor $385, item number 793 from Brushy Mountain.

I had borrowed a friends extractor. His was apparently the model from Brushy Mountain - though I didn't know this. It's a beautiful unit. Really well made. Sturdy. Works very well. No defects. i was very happy with it's performance.

I went online several times and compared the two. They looked identical, except for the crank. One was shown as being top crank the other a side crank.

I decided to go with the Betterbee model because they are located closer to me, and the shipping was cheaper. That's where I went wrong...

I received the extractor last night, and immediate took it out of the box. I'm no genius here, and my standards really aren't all the high. So long as something works, I don't really care about what it looks like. But I could tell that it was shoddy and well... cheap. I had called the company a few weeks before, and they claim this unit is made in the USA. I highly doubt it. It looks, feels and 'works' just like a cheap Chinese knock off. First off, the metal is thin and flimsy. The support bracket that sits in the bottom of the unit was too long. Apparently when they assembled it, they ignored this fact, and put it in anyway. This caused the unit to warp and become oval shaped. When I put the extractor atop the bottling take that it comes with, there were good size spaces (about 1/4 + inches) where I can see right down into the tank. Not impressed. When we tested the extractor (spun the handle) the crank gears were really wobbly, and the handled moved up and down. No gear bushings make for a sloppy mechanism. who knew?

The strainer for the bottling tank was also very flimsy, and strangely constructed with a screen that's useless. The holes are gigantic and wouldn't bother to filter out much of anything, save a small cat ;D

I knew immediately I would not be keeping this unit. So I packaged it up to ensure that it was protected against any damage or further handling. Called Betterbee this morning. Not only are they refusing to refund my shipping costs, they are threatening to charge me a 15% restocking fee. This company sends me a defective, shoddy product, and I'm supposed to pay for that? I think not...

Now, I'm stuck with no extractor. I wasted an hour of my time last night, unpacking, assembling, inspecting and repackaging. I'm having to deal with and battle this company, for a refund that is a no brainer. I have to unpack the item AGAIN to take pictures and video of how the unit doesn't work. Re-ship it, etc.

What a waste of my time and money. What a hassle. I wish I had just gotten the right one. This is a strong warning for anyone in the market for this type of 'hobby' extractor. Go with the Brushy Mountain model.

Let's BEE friends

Default Re: WARNING: Honey extractor - Betterbee vs. Brushy Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by hummingberd View Post
    Called Betterbee this morning. Not only are they refusing to refund my shipping costs, they are threatening to charge me a 15% restocking fee. This company sends me a defective, shoddy product, and I'm supposed to pay for that? I think not...
    Sorry to hear about your woes but there is a difference between a defective product and a shoddy one. If the product is defective, Betterbee should replace it free of charge. If it is a shoddy product, you made the choice to purchase it and because you changed your mind after seeing it, the shipping and restocking fees may still apply. Either way, until you resolve the issue with Betterbee, you should call your credit card, assuming you used one for the purchase, and let them know about the problem you ran into. My 2 cents...
    In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

I agree with lcl.

I did a lot of research as well and even posted a thread asking what everyone thought in this forum. I received an overwhelming response in favor of the Maxant 3100p. I bought one and found it to be far superior than the extractors my bee club has. Maxant has great customer service as well.

Just an observation worth noting: Every beekeeper I talked to locally regretted getting a hand crank no matter how many hives they had.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-26-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten. I am happy with Maxant products check them out.

http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Ex...pact-Extractor
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/793/
    Posted to help others look and help
    I have looked but seems that Maxant is going to be the way I go

T

Bought a 3100P Maxant this year... great machine, great service. Why everyone doesn't buy from them is curious.

The product was both shoddy AND defective. If the extractor doesn't sit properly in the bottling tank because it is warped, and it isn't spinning properly because the handle is too loose to function, that qualifies as defective. The shoddiness of the product wouldn't have bothered me if the darn thing actually worked! Well, at least not enough to return it anyway.

Again, I borrowed the model that is the same as brushy mountains (didn't know it was from them until now) I did research and reviews. Many of which came from this website. Many users here say they have the same model I purchased, and have had no problems with it. I did everything in my power to check out what I was buying, other than to see it in person. The company CLAIMS that they put the unit together and test it to make sure it's working properly. If they did so, they wouldn't have sent me this unit with a warped body, etc.

This post is simply a warning to anyone who is comparing the two models and thinking of purchasing one. I'm hoping my experience will save someone else the hassle. Perhaps someday I'll be able to get the Maxant extractor. Unfortunately, it's just not in the budget right now. I need to get started selling some honey so I can recoup some of my expenses. Then maybe in the future...
    Let's BEE friends

"Why everyone doesn't buy from them is curious."

Give me a loan?
    Let's BEE friends

the money I spent on the Maxant was the best money I ever spent....and I spend alot of money with brushy mountain

hummingberd, what is the lesson you learned? That you have to pay for quality? Because it may seem as tho quality costs, but actually, it pays. Had you spent a little more, you might be telling is a different story.

But, as long as you learned your lesson, the education may have been worth the cost. As long as you don't repeat the lesson. As long as you learned your lesson the first time.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Betterbee carries maxant. Maybe try a different approach and see if they will let you trade it in for a Maxant.

I have seen the model you speak of in their showroom and I would be really surprised if it isn't Chinese. If it it is made in the USA they should have no problem giving you the contact info for the company making it so you can send them feedback.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

The models you speak of are both imports. The only USA made extractors are mine (Maxant) most of Dadants (unless notes as import) and W.T.Kelley.
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Let me be clear, I wasn't looking for admonishments or for other beekeepers to rub this situation in my face. This was simply a PSA for other beekeepers out there who are considering this model. I did a google search for the model extractor that I purchased, and all I got were good reviews on it. My hope is that when someone else does a google search, this very discussion will come up and they will be forewarned.

I'm well aware of the logic behind the idea that "you get what you pay for." I generally buy Made in USA products because of their level of quality. And I have no problem paying more money for something that is of higher quality. I called Betterbee, and they told me the unit was made in USA. There was also no where on their website that states "this is a piece of crap extractor that will come to you in a defective state. It wasn't even the cheapest model they have! I would have LOVED to purchase a Maxant. The reviews were wonderful and I hope to someday own one. But I live on a budget, and I actually stick to it. If I don't have the money to purchase a Maxant, than I don't have the money - simple as that. My bills come first. This is a hobby, and I'm unwilling to put my financial well-being at risk, because of it.

The problem with this extractor, is that it came to me defective. VERY SIMPLE. They should take it back, without a restocking fee and with a shipping refund. That's good business practice. Because of the way they have handled this, I will never do business with them again, and that is the only lesson. None of this has been worth the hassle or the cost.

I'm not really sure what you get out of telling me "But as long as you learned your lesson, the education may have been worth the cost. As long as you don't repeat the lesson. As long as you learned your lesson the first time."

When a business screws someone over, you believe it's appropriate to lecture them about learning a lesson. Pssh! May all your bad business transactions be rubbed in your face...
    Let's BEE friends

"I have seen the model you speak of in their showroom and I would be really surprised if it isn't Chinese."

Agreed. The problem is, when I spoke to the woman on the phone, she told me MADE IN USA. There is no way to check for sure. I tried googling it...
    Let's BEE friends

Quote Originally Posted by hummingberd
    When a business screws someone over, you believe it's appropriate to lecture them about learning a lesson. Pssh! May all your bad business transactions be rubbed in your face...
    Which business screwed someone? Didn't you say you took the lower priced alternative? After trying out the better slightly more expensive Model. For the savings of $10.00. That's what I was getting at.

Didn't mean to rub it in your face.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 08-26-2011 at 06:40 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    http://www.betterbee.com/Products/Ex...pact-Extractor
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/793/
    Posted to help others look and help
    I have looked but seems that Maxant is going to be the way I go

T
    Strangely, when one views the brushymountain link and click on Larger View the image changes to an extractor which looks like the betterbee link.

I don't see as BetterBee did anything wrong, unless they actually said that the extractor in question was made in the USA. "The buyer beware." "You get what you pay for." Some others come to mind, but they may seem mean and the OPer has suffered enuf.
    Mark Berninghausen

the best thing to do is ask for feedback from users, then decide.

It continues to amaze me that anyone would buy from Betterbee for any reason. Does no one read their reports in the heading Consumer Reports? Surely, Justin deserves only the recognition for runining a very nice business that he undeservely 'inherited' from his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by olddrone View Post
    Does no one read their reports in the heading Consumer Reports?
    Maybe, maybe not. But, these problems didn't originate w/ Justin. And how can you say whether he deserved to inherit the business or not? Who should it have gone to? Who else deserved it?
    Mark Berninghausen

Hummingberd

Why don't you file a complaint with the better business bureau? They will investigate the claim and then if everything you say is true, the BBB can remove good standing status for betterbee. If they are advertising a made in america product, and it isn't, then you have a very valid claim. Just something to think about.
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast