Default been seening hornets flying around my hives. what should i do?

they are big! been seeing 2 around the hives what should i do?
    ant

Default Re: been seening hornets flying around my hives. what should i do?

Nothing. There are more of them at this time of year, so you are bound to see them. Your colonies are in no danger.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Unless, of course, this happens.... (sinister music playing in the background)
    30 hornets vs. 30,000 bees

Adamant, how many hives do you have? You might consider putting out a yellow jacket/hornet trap or two. There are store bought ones and diy traps...several varieties to pick from but lots of folks have better luck with the diy ones. Also, a robber screen *might* help. There again, the hornets *may* not cause problems.

Best wishes, keep us posted on what (if anything) happens.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    they are big! been seeing 2 around the hives what should i do?
    ant
    Perhaps they are cicada killer wasps? Those are well over 2 inches long. They nest in the ground and parasitise cicadas. If so they are no threat to your hive.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Unless, of course, this happens....

Ed
    What happens in Japan doesn't happen here. We don't have these kinds of wasps or hornets here. Adam doesan't have anything to worry about. If I am wrong I'd like tro know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What happens in Japan doesn't happen here. We don't have these kinds of wasps or hornets here. Adam doesan't have anything to worry about. If I am wrong I'd like tro know about it.
    Hey, I'm glad to find that out!! I've read where folks have had problems with yellow jackets and it seems that I've seen hornets mentioned, also. You've got a lot more experience than I have (especially since I have ZERO experience) so I'll take what you're saying as the truth. I did not realize those were Japanese bees, though I should have picked up on it by the roasted hornet video. Thanks for the insight, Mark. Are yellow jackets a problem here? I'm beginning to think that some of the references to hornets that I've seen are actually references to yj.

Ed

In my opinion, you can control only those thing which you can control. Which is, what is going on in your colonies, for the most part. Other than that, you can control how you relate to and think about life.

For the most part, in America, Yellow Jackets are not a problem for beekeepers. Though they can be an indication of something going wrong in your hive(s).

Wicked video. Too bad. The only thing that may be of help in a situation like that would be to put a metal hive entrance reducer on the front with several "Bee-Sized" holes. I believe it's 1/4". I have one pictured on my site, the entrance reducer that is. Even if the bees came out to attack, the hive would be safe from robbing. And maybe some, and I hate to say this, "RAID" hornet killer spray to deal with the entrance hornets and such. Once taken care of, I'd quickly hose down and wipe the entrance clean as best as possible with soap/water solution. The moisture may keep the honey bees inside like a rainy day.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

I sit out in front of my hives with a flyswatter and smack them down to the ground and step on them. I had a hive next to a tree last year that was weeping sap at the bottom and the hornets had a particular interest in this sap so when several would show up they were easy pickings. Just dont miss because they have a particularly nasty disposition when riled.

My Dad's place had a giant yellow jackets nest in his tree last year. It was about 10" in diameter around the fattest part. We took it down in the fall to cut it in half, open it up to find a few dead bees and an empty hive. Those where huge, nearing 1.5"
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

I suspect those were bald faced hornets, yellow jackets are ground dwellers and nowhere near that large.

Look about the same though.

Baldfaced hornets will eat individual honeybees, but don't rob out a hive to the best of my knowledge. Asian hornets, on the other hand, do. The defense there is for the bees to allow the scout into the hive where she gets balled, then the bees cover up the marker scent on the entrance. If they attack the hornet outside, the pheremones released will draw more hornets and the hive gets robbed out. Another genetic thing.

Peter

You're probably seeing European Hornets. They are huge yellow critters and I've been seeing them a lot. They will come in and pick off a bee or two from the hive and generally aggravate you but won't cause any harm. Like Mark said the important thing is to keep the hive strong so the impact of the hornets will be minimal.