Thread: What is DWV?

Question What is DWV?

I gather it is related to varroa mites. I did check the glossary twice before posting the question.

Default Re: What is DWV?

Deformed Wing Virus or DWV is very noticeable during the hive inspection, You will see bees running around the frames with wings that look like someone took a match to them and they shriveled up and melted. Hope this helps......
    Honeydew

Some say that DWV and other viruses are constantly present in hives at low levels that the bees can cope with just fine. The problem comes when the hive has a high enough varroa load that the bees' general health is compromised and they are more susceptible to the viruses. DWV is one of the first viruses you'll see when a hive is challenged by varroa.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

This bee is a bit sticky as it was transported home in a jar that had a bit of sugar water still in it. However, the wing damage is from DWV.
    Nick Hubbell
    www.findlaybee.com

I have something to be grateful for then. I seem to have a fairly high mite load, but I haven't seen any deformed wings. I have shb, wax moths, mites and robber bees. The universe decided I had my hands full.