Thread: property values

Default property values

Hi all,

So I am wondering if anyone has any articles or data that shows that beehives on a property or nearby properties lowers property values... or even data that shows it has a positive effect or no effect on property values?

I ask because recently a beekeeper was denied a permit to keep bees in a local city based on testimony by the opposition that having beehives in the area will lower property values of other properties in the area. I think its BS but there is no data out there... I believe there is no data because beehives no effect on property values! Thanks in advance for any help or info you can provide!!

Default Re: property values

Although I am not active any longer (in the appraisal field) I do believe there is some evidence to support the City's position. I can not provide Data, but considering the fear of bees by a good number of the population there would be a negative in a neighborhood that had bee keepers keeping bees.

It would be something like a city that allows an adult business to setup in or near a residential area, property values would decline.

All that said, I live in a rural community for all the above reasons.

Ben

I've been a Realtor for over 20 years. Now as a beek I'm biased (disclosure) but unless the city rules say no bee keeping, in my opinion bees would not diminish values. Now there is quite a bit of missing information: how many hives? are will they be plainly visible, are they going to be on someones front lawn, how big is the lot? Is this a business or a simple beek looking to have a couple of hives? Are there already bees being kept in the area? etc.

I totally disagree, once a city ordinance would allow beekeeping then, unless they specify the number of colonies allowed on a piece of property, the number could become a problem.

Our County Bee inspector, from years ago had his bee yard inside the city, there were no regulation against beekeeping in the city. He took up a city block. Old houses around him wouldn't sell.

Compare it to someone raising dogs, hidden in the back yard,,the barking would give them away. We have a rescue shelter in our community. Property around it can't be given away.

Of course the devil is in the details. How many hives allowed, a business or hobbiest etc. But one beek and a couple of hives won't decrease the neighborhood values provided reasonable measures are taken to limit bee and human conflict.

it would have been a couple of hives (2-3) on a vacant lot. after a little research, this article did come up.

http://www.epa.gov/landreuse/downloa...griculture.pdf

How about finding testimonial type articles from other cities that bees kept nearby (number of colonies within reason, of course) actually increases property values due the the free pollination services provided? Flowers, vegetables, etc etc etc.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I have been a realtor for 17 years and never heard that a hive near a home for sale had a negative effect on the property's value. Most of the time the hive wouldn't be visible because of wood fences or sheltered location anyway.

In fact, I just sold the house next door to me and advertised in the home that the buyer would get free honey from his new neighbor. Most of the people seemed excited when they saw my hive looking out the for sale home's window. In fact one guy saw the hive while walking around the outside of the house and came running in all excited and said, "Is that a bee hive over there? How cool." At best I think it is a wash, unless some has a true deadly reaction to insect stings. In that case, they just buy another house.