Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hanging swarm trap, or stationary? What's your experience?

Hi there,

I see that some people hang their swarm traps in trees by a rope or cord, which allows them to swing a bit in the wind, and others place them so that they are stable; perhaps nailed to something.

In your experience, does it matter? Will bees nest in things that aren't completely stable?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Hanging swarm trap, or stationary? What's your experience?

I have trouble with full sized adult trees snapping off at the trunks. I'm definitely going to attach it solidly to the tree. If I were the bees I wouldn't be thrilled about getting tossed around by the wind...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Why go to the extra work of hanging them when they work fine just placed on a solid surface?

All you really need to do is set them near a newbee's apiary and when their crowded hives swarm, they'll settle in your hive trap. You get a marked queen to boot!!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    All you really need to do is set them near a newbee's apiary and when their crowded hives swarm, they'll settle in your hive trap. You get a marked queen to boot!!!
    Thanks a lot for the "marked queen" remark...now I gotta get a rag and clean this coffee off of this newbee's monitor...

I like this one. . . As a newbee I also found a statement that I really liked. I don't remember who said it but it's great and what I've been seeking to do!!

"Knowledge is not better than experience and wisdom, but is a whole lot better than ignorance.
    As a novice I study, read and learn. The experience will come."

I put up 6 swarm traps (5 frame nuc boxes) this year and didn't get anything. I'd like to learn what others have had success with also. I roped them to the tree about 6-7 feet up. The reason I didn't just put them on the ground is the research that I did stated that 12' - 17' is best however I'm not about to cary a ladder into the woods to get it up and down and / or to check it. When I roped it there wasn't much room for movement so I don't think they were knocking around, but I'm up for trying a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    I put up 6 swarm traps (5 frame nuc boxes) this year and didn't get anything. I'd like to learn what others have had success with also. I roped them to the tree about 6-7 feet up. The reason I didn't just put them on the ground is the research that I did stated that 12' - 17' is best however I'm not about to cary a ladder into the woods to get it up and down and / or to check it. When I roped it there wasn't much room for movement so I don't think they were knocking around, but I'm up for trying a different way.
    I did the same thing initially. I tried setting them in trees inside Golden Gate Park, nothing. (I kept that up until I found out you could be arrested ). I then just placed them on my hive stand because I didn't know what else to do with them. (I use old commercial 8 frames boxes with two frames of drawn comb and a lemon grass oil soaked cloth inside).

After about a week on the hive stand, they started coming. 6 swarms between May and June in San Francisco and another 5 on my hive stand in Saratoga. Once the swarms were inside, all I did was carefully place the rest of the drawn frames in the trap with one frame of brood in the center to get them to stay. I feed them sugar syrup for a week and then placed the frames in a new hive box and started all over again.

I don't know what it is but there's something about a lure placed near established hives that swarms can't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    Thanks a lot for the "marked queen" remark...now I gotta get a rag and clean this coffee off of this newbee's monitor...
    Sorry...I learned how to do that from Odfrank!

I have yet to catch a marked queen. But the strains of bees this year have been lovely. I think most shipped queens get superseded promptly, and their offspring just keep getting better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I have yet to catch a marked queen. But the strains of bees this year have been lovely. I think most shipped queens get superseded promptly, and their offspring just keep getting better and better.
    I noticed that too. Superseding queens are strong and lay like crazy. I think packaged queens are breed for quick build up for commercial purposes which can also cause them to swarm quickly on unsuspecting newbee's.

And yes, I've had hives swarm on me too. BTW Odfrank, can I have my bees back?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    BTW Odfrank, can I have my bees back?
    I did not catch any baits in San Francisco or Monte Sereno, so I doubt I owe you anything, and I of course would not give them back anyways. Free bees are a freebee, finders keepers losers weepers.

My SF bait site is 26th Ave. between Lawton and Moraga. Is that within range of you? My host is mad because I have failed there two years in a row (concrete jungle). I will double my efforts next year. Mark your queens in pink and I will let you know if I get them.

My SF bait site is 26th Ave. between Lawton and Moraga. Is that within range of you?
    Nice try buddy! I'm not telling you. You'll surround my apiary with 50 hive traps

Now I'm really curious

I've got a friend I'm mentoring and he's learning the hard way. He doesn't come every weekend and work the bee's to make sure she has room and to prevent swarming. He had 3 out of 4 hives swarm and all of them very late in the season so I doubt they will make it through winter.

I caught one swarm but the other two went 40' up in some oak trees.

If I want to prevent this next year, are you saying I can just buy some of those swarm traps with the scent and they will move right into those traps? I've always wondered if that actually works or if they are just a gimick.

kevina, from what I've *read* (no practical experience here!) you probably already have some good swarm traps...extra supers or brood boxes. Simply set them up with a couple of old frames of comb surrounded by some empty frames, put a few drops of lemon grass essential oil or regular pheromone lure inside the box, put a top cover and bottom board on, set it in a shady area a hundred feet or so from the hives...and wait. The bees will check it out and there is a good chance of a swarm moving in. It will not prompt your colonies to swarm, but if they do swarm there's a nice extended stay hotel close by for them.

Best wishes,
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
    set it in a shady area a hundred feet or so from the hives.)Ed
    Or set them up on your empty stands and you might catch a swarm right there that you don't even have to move.

Like Ed says, just use everyday bee equipment for traps, and always with a full complement frames/combs.

...sure wish I had some comb.......<sigh> NEXT YEAR!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kevinva View Post
    Now I'm really curious

If I want to prevent this next year, are you saying I can just buy some of those swarm traps with the scent and they will move right into those traps? I've always wondered if that actually works or if they are just a gimick.
    I don't think that's the best strategy for swarm management. I had a hive swarm early in June when there were two swarm traps in my yard. They clustered on a tree across the street. I've learned since then you have to give them room and at the first sign of swarm cells, split the hive to induce a fake swarm. Divy up the hive equally taking the queen, BUT NO SWARM CELLS and place the divide in a new hive. Leave the original hive where it's at leaving all the swarm cells for them to make a new queen.

Or set them up on your empty stands and you might catch a swarm right there that you don't even have to move.

Like Ed says, just use everyday bee equipment for traps, and always with a full complement frames/combs.
    Be careful about using comb. You'll also invite hive beetles / or wax moths.

Gotcha on the beetles/moth issues. I'd really like some, though, for the scent appeal. I'm thinking that what I'll do when I get in the field with the traps is to find some rotted tree limb (hopefully moist, but it's dry lately) and rub on the inside of my new plywood swarm traps. Hopefully that will help give maybe a little of the hollow tree atmosphere to the bees....let the lemongrass oil draw them in and mixed with the rotted wood aroma lull them into a sense of "home sweet home".

I'm afraid with the new plywood and glues that I've a mountain to overcome "scentwise" with the bees. But, if I don't throw a line in the water I know I ain't gonna catch fish!!! ...or in this case, honey bees.

Ed

I understand wanting the smell appeal. If you have any old equipment that will work the best. Also if you research "queen juice" on Michael Bush's web site that would be good also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast