Default New Cottage law in Florida??

I recieved an email from our local bee club and it looks like a new law has been passed in FL. allowing honey and some other products to be sold direct to the consumer with out having to have a certified kitchen. Is this just a proposal? Does it have to clear any more hurdles?
    If I understand it right this would allow someone to sell upto 15K dollars worth of honey without a lot of red tape. I'm sure I could get an answer from the club but, wanted to see what folks thought of this legislation here. Here is a link I could not figure out how to copy the PDF. http://www.freshfromflorida.com/fs/C...odAdvisory.pdf

Default Re: New Cottage law in Florida??

I think it is OK.It gives the small hobbyist a chance to sell his honey with out the high cost of having to build a bottling house.The health dept says that the sugar content will not let bacteria live in it plus I think that everyone has enough common sense and pride in themselves to clean up everything to make their bottled honey suitable for consumption.

See the thread on Selling Honey roadside. There is a direct link to the new law.
    Regards
    Pete

snapper1d
    I hate to disagree with you but there are alot of people out there that only care about the dollar. Most are honest good people who take pride in their product but there are some bad apples like everywhere. The guy who was arrested for stealing bees/hives/honey in north east Fl was also selling honey. I did not see it but was told he was bottling in a building with dogs cats and their feces 6" deep. There is a beekeeper in tennessee turned packer selling sourwood honey by the hundreds of cases that has no sourwood in it at all....clover from the midwest and I suspect may have other things added as well due to the price. Last year his wholesale price left him with about 50 cents a quart less delivery the way i figured it. SOurwood was 67 dollars a case o quarts delivered 150 miles away(pallet). If I understand it the label has to state that the produce was not bottled in accordance with food safety laws if you use the exemption. Im not sure it still is that way. THis has good and bad points. the hard thing is who is to day how much someone sells especially if selling at farmer markets. I can see both sides....I think government is too big now and we have enough restrictions but hate to see "funny honey" (adulterated) sold as honey. I'm not sure if inspection of bottling operation would stop it anyway. I have seen honey bottled in a way that I thought was not proper and inspector turned a blind eye and I have seen inspectors use a flashlight and white glove and write someone up fora ant in the area of the building with bee boxes being repaired.

Johng, The bill has been approved by the house and senate and has been sent to the Governor to be signed into law. So go ahead and bottle and sell. The jest of the subject is you don't have to have a license or bottling room. You can use you kitchen. You can only sell to the end consumer. No more selling bulk to a bottler, retail store, restaurant, or on line for resale.

You can sell from your house, vehicle, roadside stand, farmers or flea markets, and honor stand. You goods have to be sold by you or your family members only. Friends or hired hands cannot sell because that is the same as selling to a middle man to sell to the customers. Go figger. hehe

The only time you would be investigated is if you had a complaint against you or your product. Be sure that the label has on it in 10 point lettering, "MADE IN A COTTAGE FOOD OPERATION THAT IS NOT SUBJECT TO FLORIDA'S FOOD SAFETY REGULATIONS". Just follow the labeling law for the rest of the label.

Good luck in your sales.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

Yeah, that's the way I understand the bill. You can only sell direct to the public as retail sales, no wholesale to stores and the lable also must include the Cottage Food statement. The beekeper in NE Florida who was arrested for stealing hives was a member of one of the local beekeeping clubs. He really hurt the club and gave a black eye to beekeeping in this area. It's too bad his motive was money and not beekeeping.

I often think that hobbyist beekeepers should set themselves up like the small beeks did in Argentina. They became powerhouses producing their crops in a cooperative type settings in certified honey processing facilities. Thus are able to export to the world. What would the US be like if our smaller beeks did the same? I believe they would be a force to be reckoned with. TED

BeeBoy, There is alway one rotten apple in any barrel. One person can mess it up for the whole group.

Ted K, The Florida State Beekeepers Assn. tried that co-op 5 or 6 years ago, but very few beekeepers wanted a part of it. Beekeepers as a whole are independent people. They are a hard lot to get to do anything together.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

Peaches, good to hear from you. Too bad, it is a good idea who's time maybe on the horizon. TED

We may try again at a later time. Since the times are changing, maybe some of the newer beekeepers will see the wisdom in a co-op and will get it started.
    Glad to be able to talk to you again, Ted. We'll have to get together sometime and compare AL to FL. Drink lots of water, it is hot out there.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

For what it's worth, I paid $8.99 at Kroger for 1 lb of North Dallas Honey with a bright orange label. Don't have any idea who they are, association or independent beek but it is nice to be able to shop local. (and honey of my own is a good solid year out at least.)

Gypsi,

Here in Florida, the have to have the producer's name and address along with the type of honey (Wildflower, Tupelo, Gallberry, etc). I personally put my phone and cell numbers along with my email and website. If the powers that be really wants to find me, they can ... and my customers too! hehe.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

It says North Dallas Honey Company, Frisco Texas and gives a phone number. Also says that eating local honey may lessen airborne allergies (or something to that effect)

Bonafide company name and town. Frisco is small and mail probably will get to them. Phone number is a plus. True statement about the allergies. In Texas, that may be all you need.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

I wasn't too worried about it. Mainly just Kudos for getting their honey INTO Kroger, if they were on here to read. That pound is 2/3 gone. No problems, good in tea. When they can make honey that will lessen my dog and house dust allergies, I'll be buying that by the half ton. (LOL)