Default Inspection when supers are on

Should I continue weekly inspections after having placed my supers on top of the hive? If so other than looking for a full super what should I be looking for?

If the super(s) are full do I simply replace it with an empty one if it is not too late in the season?

Everything was going very well when I placed the supers on and I don't want to interupt the bees if I don't have too.

Thanks
    Bmac

Default Re: Inspection when supers are on

Well, I've never done weekly inspections except when honey supers are on. Then I only look to see if they need another. In far away yards I just put all of the supers on that I think that they will need and inspect when I can. I try to get my bees ready for the flow and then after supers are on I never go into the brood nest unless something seems wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac1985 View Post
    Should I continue weekly inspections after having placed my supers on top of the hive?
    Thanks
    Bmac
    What are you hoping to find or not to find by weekly inspections? Other than whether they need more room or not. I was out yesterday w/ a friend and a cpl State Inspectors doing a Survey and Interstate Transport Inspection. The hives we looked at need more room. So supers will be going on some of those soon.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Usually inspections for disease, for being queenright or for swarm cells end when the nectar flow is great enough for putting on the honey supers. After the honey supers are on, the checks are to see if more honey supers are needed.

If you top super all that is needed is to remove the cover and check the top super without removing it. If it is close to being full, add another. If the nectar flow is close to ending then let the bees fill the top super and don't add another. When the flow is ending let the bees put any nectar gathered in the brood nest for winter stores.

How do I know the flow is ending?

as soon as the goldenrod is done.

Check 4 buckwheat planted in the area. Harvest when blooms are spent......

I havnt performed a thorough check on my hives for almost a month, the bees are packing in nectar/pollen and the numbers look great on the landing board, so I dont think there is a need to interupt them during the flow! I do check the supers once a week to see how everything is going, the Italian hive is almost done capping the honey in all the frames of a 10 frame medium, as of last week anyhow!! Will open things up this evening to see if they have started in the second super.

I am not as experienced as most everyone on here, but this is just a summary of my personal experience, and this is coming from a person who inspected his hives every few days to once a week to learn and study the development of my new hobby!!
    Coyote Creek Bees