Thread: Drying Honey?

Default Drying Honey?

I just finished what should be my last extraction for the year and found that this crop has a high moisture content of around 20%. The honey is from Cabbage Palms which has always produced wet honey. I've been running a dehumidifier in a closed room for the last two days trying to pull the moisture out but I'm wondering if there is a easier way to dry out the crop. Thanks

Default Re: Drying Honey?

Is it capped? Or, was it capped before you did the extraction?

All the frames were capped before the extraction and I ran the dehumidifier in the room with the supers for 48 hours prior to the extraction. I also had 1x2's between the supers for better air flow. I didn't want to leave the honey in the supers much longer because of Small Hive Beetles. Right now the honey is in half full 5 gallon buckets with the dehumidifer and a fan blowing dry air over them. I only have 15 gallons from this extraction but still want to get it dried out. It looks like it is working, my last reading is 19% but it is taking forever. Any thoughts on how to speed it up?

Increase the surface.

I had a similar problem with a much smaller amount, but still in a 5g bucket. Along w/the dehumid. in the room, I mounted a small muffin to two wooden slats and set it on top of the bucket, blowing right down onto the surface of the honey. I then stirred the honey as much as possible, every couple hours when I could manage it. The stirring seemed to helped speed up the drying quite a bit.