Default pollen and neceor?

When watching my bees returning to the hive, i have noticed that some are loaded with pollen and some are not. I assume that the ones without pollen are carrying necter or water. Do the bees with pollen also carry necter? or do they specalise in one or the other. Just curious.

Default Re: pollen and neceor?

One or the other. In addition I believe that when bringing in pollen an individual bee only brings one plant type. Don't know if that is also true for nectar.

Neceor?????? Can't spell (cat) without getting hair in my mouth.Thanks Peter. Seems like a wasted trip just to bring pollen and not a little necter with it.

I maybe way out in left field, but, I think the bees with pollen also have collected nectar. I watch bees alot on flowers, and even when they collect pollen they have their heads into the flowers.

I course I could be totally mistaken, I have been before.

They actually have to have some nectar to make the pollen pellets, so when it's available they are often coming back with both pollen and nectar. But they don't come back with pollen and propolis (obviously) or propolis and nectar or pollen and water...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF