Default Hurricane Preparedness

Does anybody have some advice on how to secure hives for high winds. We have sandy soil living only .9 of a mile from the Atlantic ocean, and so I'm not sure whether mobile home anchors would work or not.

I have one hive that is (4) boxes high and another that's (5) high. I'm concerned that they could get blown over. I realize everything I try to do may not be sufficient, but I want to try to do all that I can do to help my bees secure their real estate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Re: Hurricane Preparedness

get some cinder blocks and strap all hives together then strap it to cinder blocks laying on ground. Ive used old brake rotors off my ton truck lol. we get crazy wind up here on the hill

Weld hooks to Rail Road rails, use chimney anchors (or custom made 3/4" steel rods) to tie the
    hives. 10' RR rails should stay on the ground even in 300-400 mph winds.

Shane,

Thanks for the advice. Looks like we're going to get missed this time.

I save my old rotors too. They come in handy for holding tarps down and other things. My dad taught me well - never throw things out.

af_newbie,

Sounds like it would work to me, but I don't know where I could get those railroad rails. Do they sell them at Lowes?

check with your local RR in your area. I'm sure you have the NS or CSX there. ask them if they can cut you up a couple small pieces of scrap rail they don't use anymore. get permission first before you go on any Rail property. I know I work for the CSX. RR don't like tress passers.

Default Railroad rails

Ray,

Thanks for the info. I will locate our RR office and see if I can get some.

Default Re: Hurricane Prepardness

I used mobile home tie downs for mine. They are about three feet long so plenty deep. If you want to prepare for the next one now just dig a wide hole and set the tie down in concrete. Once dry fill in the hole. After a good watering or a rain, the post won't come up unless you dig them up again. They are easy to trip over, but don't take up as much room as something lying on the ground. I also use ratchet straps to tie them down. Went out yesterday to put the anchors down and they were very gentle. Today I went to add the straps and could tell they know something is coming as they were a little more aggitated.

Default Re: Hurricane Prepardness

Quote Originally Posted by NCbeek View Post
    I used mobile home tie downs for mine.
    This is really one of the questions I had. I was wondering if these mobile home anchors were the way to go. I was also wondering how to put them in - whether you had to "drill" them in with some kind of power device.

I am kind of leaning toward this kind of a solution. How much do they cost?

I also like the idea of a ratchet type tie down.

Thanks for the info!

When you have 30 hives in 3 locations, you just strap them and hope for the best.

If mobile home anchors are not availible, you could try using electrical ground rods. They are available at Lowes or any electrical supply. You can get them in 3 to 6 foot lengths. They have a set bolt for attaching a ground wire which could be used to wire,strap or bungee the hives down.

camero7,

When you say "strap them," does that mean that you put a ratcheting strap around each hive, or do you bunch them all together and strap them?

Thanks!

They cost about $5.00 each here tax included, if I remember right. I got them at ACE Hardware but I had to ask for them, they didn't have them out in the store(?) I start them by hand then take a piece of 2 x 2 about 2' long and keep twisting it down in the ground. It takes a long time, but like I say you can always dig and cement them if you think they will still pull out.

I take something about the size of a brick and put it on top, put the strap across the top and hook the ends to the anchor poles. That way it has three points of contact on the top(Top of brick and sides of the cover) and seems to steady it better.
    Last edited by NCbeek; 08-26-2011 at 01:56 PM.

NCbeek,

Hey, thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate all the information. I guess I'll head over to Lowes or HD to check on those anchors.