Default Another new queen

We are calling her Elizabeth the third. I replaced my package queen in mid June, checked a couple times the smaller not so pretty replacement was doing OK nothing great but then got another family thing happen and didn't check for about 3 weeks. So checked a couple days ago and still 3 frames worth of bees and a brand spanking new unmarked gorgeous queen. Guess we probably won't make it through the winter.

Default Re: Another new queen

I never knew NM had winter...

Your bees should survive if queen starts to lay well.

I hope you are right, We will get our first freeze within the month although I am hoping for mid October. Not much has gone well with these girls this year.

I guess I should be clear, I live at 7400 feet in the Black Range mountains of the Gila forest. We have about a 3-4 month growing season. I may have to take them down into the valley and see if they do better on my 'neighbor's farm.

If you feed well the bees should grow up to 6+ frames. Whats the constant low temp in your area? I am going to overwinter 5 frame nucs in my area where temp hits -20C constantly but I place the nucs over large colonies so they use the heat from the strong hives.

Prayer helps out also... Saves you $ so you don't need to buy bees in the spring.

Feeding the daylights out of them and have since May, still have green grass and flowers all over the place. For the last month we have been coming out of the drought that was probably hindering them.
    I am pretty sure both my queens from the company were just poorly bred. But once I check the new lady, we shall see just how bad it is. I have a beekeeper friend who is willing to shore up this hive with a frame or two. Maybe we can pull it off.

Laura -- Just wanted you to know that we name our Queens, too. We're using 'First Lady' names; currently up to Mary Todd. If you want the bees to raise brood, be sure they have enough pollen, or provide a supplement. They can use sugar water for comb building, but need protein to raise brood. Good luck.