Hybrid View

Default how many mediums do you Very northern beekeepers winter on?

I have all natural cell mediums and this year I am ready to do my final extraction of honey. I live in Montana so i was wondering - How many Mediums are you far northern beekeepers (who are non migratory) winter on? How many are stuffed with honey? at what point do you consider them too small and stack them on a big colony for warmth?

thanks

Default Re: how many mediums do you Very northern beekeepers winter on?

I winter in 3, which is equivalent. To 2 deeps. I am in ny, just east of lake Erie ands we get about 150 " of snow a year.
    Allegany Mtn. Bee Farm
    Quality Queens and Honey from Western New York

3 high should work good and they all need to be really full. any left in the spring is a bonus and 1# short they are dead. they should be in the bottom super at the start of winter. If the cluster is on top they can get in trouble by not getting to their honey mid winter.

I over wintered in three last year on the NH border of MA. We had a lot of snow, even for us, but they came through it well. I did put 10#'s mountaincamp sugar on top for insurance though, it was gone by the first week of April, along with the first pollen sub patty.

I'm looking at all the hives now, especially the July splits, and hoping the golden rod will fill out a few more frames in some of the lighter hives before we get a frost. I may have to combine a few and take my losses in the fall.

We get between 140" - 200" of snow so I try to put them down for winter with 4 mediums. Last year was a "make bees" year, not a "make honey" year for me. I took only 1 frame from a total of 8 hives and still got caught in a dearth and had to feed late into the fall. The problem was I fed too late and they never capped some of the frames which caused a moisture problem in 3 of the hives which I lost. Always better to leave them enough honey but if you have to feed make sure you allow them time to cap it...
    7 yrs, 6 hives, TF for 6 years, small cell, moved to OAV this fall.
    www.honeymeadowfarm.com, www.nhbees.wordpress.com

I use two deeps. I try to get them about I00 lbs of stores. my winter is very long and cold. up to 200 inches of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshooter View Post
    We get between 140" - 200" of snow so I try to put them down for winter with 4 mediums. Last year was a "make bees" year, not a "make honey" year for me. I took only 1 frame from a total of 8 hives and still got caught in a dearth and had to feed late into the fall. The problem was I fed too late and they never capped some of the frames which caused a moisture problem in 3 of the hives which I lost. Always better to leave them enough honey but if you have to feed make sure you allow them time to cap it...
    How long does it take for them to cap up what I feed them. I want to get my feeders off the hives in time. What is best to feed after the "tea" mixture. Is there a good dry food that will not have the moisture danger?