Hi everyone, so I made the decision last week that one of my two first year hives was going to have to go from two boxes to one. I didn't get the packages until late May, and though this one initially had a huge build up and seemed to be doing amazingly well, the later part of summer was really hard on them and they've dealt with small hive beetle and then a high-fatality robbing event that (combined with a dry spell and no flow) has left them pretty depleted. Not where I hoped we'd be in September.
Anyway, I recorded my totally amateur fumbling, edited the two hours of footage down to about 16 minutes, and added a voiceover because... well, the original audio was horrible and I can.
Just a note: I really did smoke the bees quite well before both attempts to put the inner cover back on. Watching it, it looks like I'm squishing bees and I'm sure a few were, but for some reason it looks like mass slaughter on the video. In practice, they ducked down and then I quickly put the inner cover on. Hopefully there was minimal mortality associated. Also, I'm definitely open to constructive criticism on my (lack of) technique, but please try to be nice. Amateur. Novice. Figuring it out as I go.