Default What to do after shakeout of laying worker hive?

Hi - I have three first year hives, one of which became queen less and has a laying worker. I've decided to simply shake out all the bees from the hive and let them disperse, presumably some joining the other two hives. What do I do afterward with the equipment if I need to store it till spring? Is it too late to then make a split to refill the hive?

Some detail: All three hives have two deeps. The LW hive's deeps are almost entirely built out and are loaded with stores of honey and pollen. Both of the other hives have lots of stores and 2 honey supers. One of the two is very strong, the other less so as I believe it has a mite problem (that I will treat this week with MAQS). I decided not to do a newspaper combo with either hive as I don't think its worth the risk that the LW hive kills the queen.

Ideally I'd like to make a split and repopulate the LW hive, but I fear it's too late in NorCal? I don't have ready access to a new queen. If not, I'll store the equipment till next spring. I can harvest the honey, would I just store the frames with pollen in bags with mothballs?

thx!

Default Re: What to do after shakeout of laying worker hive?

No, it's not to late especially with the honey and pollen stores you can give them. The stronger you make the split, the better it's chances. I'm out here in the valley and I made a split last year in late September and that colony is doing awesome this year. Another thing is if you can get a queen, you'll be weeks ahead almost a month ahead of schedule on that split.

Good luck,
    C2

In Greenbrae you could do a split with a new queen year round. With no introduced queen, do a strong split and move to a different site so that you do not lose your older worker population. Also feed during the queen production cycle with an eye out to prevent robbing, an inverted top feeder being your best bet.

I shook out the LW hive in front of my two other hives (boy did that irritate them!). That evening I noticed that that many (all?) of them had crawled up into the space underneath one of the hives. They've remained there for the last two days, all piled up on top of each other with no apparent interest in moving. Guess they've basically given up... I assume they'll either join the hive or just gradually fade away!

If nothing else, throw them up on another hive so those hives can use the supers and their contents.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Yep, did that. Both remaining hives are high rises now with a total of three deeps and three supers. Think I'll try a split, particularly if I can get a mated queen.

Why did you do the shakeout so close to other hives?

Cause that's what Michael Bush says to do... http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm

Since all the eggs and larva that are layed by workers are bound to become drones, I freeze all the frames prior to putting them in another hive.