Default Look out spring....here we come!!!!!

I went through a couple of yards this weekend. Most hives have multiple frames with capped brood….many hives already have big orientation swirls…..ready or not…..spring…here we come!
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Look out spring....here we come!!!!!

Man i can hardly wait.
    I'm so envious lucky you.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

You are lucky. I think our winter just started about 3-4 weeks ago here in southern Idaho. It has been 10-20 below every morning for the last three weeks. Highs in the daytime have only been between 5-15 above. I checked my hives on Friday by putting my ear to them and tapping on the side. All six are still buzzing. I wrapped them and are trying to keep them warm. I don't remember having this long of cold spell for a lot of years. Usually a week here and there. I hope your right about the early spring. I am about froze out myself. Hope my bees make it through to March or April. Send warm weather our way.

I'm not sure I should be the object of envy. This is way too early....a month at the least. The odds are that I'll be feeding soon. Trying to figure out timing for everything else becomes a challenge. When to start queen cells? When to make splits? Toss out all that has been done in the past and ...in the words of Darwin....adapt.
    And then...what if it all....suddenly..... reverts to normal?
    And don't forget....small hive beetles and varroa.
    Aiyiyiyiyi!
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I was in some hives last weekend and they were loaded with purple eyed drones already.

1 good cold snap and there dead 2-3 weeks early for heavy brood rearing.

How do you figure they would die from a cold snap? There should stll be enough bees to cover the brood that is being raised.

An early spring is a double edged sword. It was last year here. The bees were doing well, flowers and fruit trees getting ready to bloom and then ZAP! Two hard frosts. No apple blossoms, cherry blossoms. Set the fruit farmers back a year and set the bees back some as well.
    Take your good old sweet time getting here spring!

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I went through a couple of yards this weekend. Most hives have multiple frames with capped brood….many hives already have big orientation swirls…..ready or not…..spring…here we come!
    Seeing the same thing here in east Texas, light pollen flow as well. A few more bees for the Almond trees, it's all good from my perspective but definitely not a common January occurence. Nightime temps have been in the 30's which should limit the queens a bit and hopefully deter too much early plant maturity. Orientation swirls?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    How do you figure they would die from a cold snap? There should stll be enough bees to cover the brood that is being raised.
    Covering the brood when it is 60 or even 50 is easier than when its 20. Plus they won't move off the brood to get to food. Getting "stuck on brood" is a good way to have a hive with plenty of stores starve out.

I could see that happening up north when a cold snap is measured in days, not hours.

I got some orientation flights here in Houston this weekend too. The interesting thing is that the girls were also finding pollen still. Hopefully we will get a couple of warm days in a row so I can get in to do some full hive inspections so I know which hives need what kind of feed (syrup or patties). The way it has been going I may not have to feed after Feb.
    Mike
    N5RWH - 9a

Here in the great lakes area where I am at, we are getting ready to have a few weeks of very cold weather coming in. I am actually welcoming it though, because last winter was so mild, we hardly went below freezing in January and February! Spring came way too early last year, so this cold we have coming will delay things a bit, and maybe we'll have a normal spring. This cold will be hard on bees if they have small clusters, that's what worries me as I have lots of nucs out there and some of my full size hives have small clusters too, I think I will go out today and put some 2" foam board around the last few hives that are concerning me. John

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Orientation swirls?
    Just an invented description of a cloud of orienting bees.....some of that brood is already emerging. I suppose if I were sending these bees to CA....it'd put a smile on my face too.
    And in all honesty it is really ok. It just means the clock must be moved to adjust timing and I'll be feeding a load of bees that I hadn't planned on. The fact that, in general, they look awesome actually did put a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by papar View Post
    I could see that happening up north when a cold snap is measured in days, not hours.
    have you seen the forecast for the week coldest air of the year so far is coming

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Just an invented description of a cloud of orienting bees......
    Good term I will have to remember that. The difference, I assume, from "defecation swirls" being the color of your bee truck when you leave the yard.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The difference, I assume, from "defecation swirls" being the color of your bee truck when you leave the yard.
    Since my yards are relatively small and the bees are rarely confined for more than a couple of days, if that, their defecation swirls aren’t especially entertaining….resulting in a less complete coating of the truck.
    One the other hand, my bees seem to find perverse joy in targeting anything that moves.
    Last edited by beemandan; 01-21-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Just remember the blizzard of '93 was in March.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    Just remember the blizzard of '93 was in March.
    yep....and in recent years we've even seen hard freezes in late April. But thus far this year..... we're off to a warm start.
    http://www.griffin.uga.edu/aemn/cgi-...GADN&report=ch