Default New package questions

I have three questions please:
    1- I was given some MannLake Bee Pro pollen substitute. How do I feed this? I am not sure if I make this into patties or put it out dry in the hive/ out of hive.
    2- I was also given Prohealth liquid. I was told to put this with the sugar water for the first few weeks with my new packages. What is the mix rate for 1:1 sugar water. I was thinking a tsp.
    3-How long do I provide sugar water? Our trees are about 1 week away and flowers 2 to 3 weeks.

Default Re: New package questions

Please all help is appreciated

I can answer number 3. New packages need lots of feed because of all the comb they need to build. I would feed until you see capped stores.

The bee pro substitute if its powder you can make bee pro patties. Theres recipes on the web for that you just mix it with 1:1 syrup and some other stuff. If its the bee pro patties then just give 1 pattie per hive they'll eat it. I do believe they eat the dry stuff dry to from a open feeder. Look on mann lakes web site about that. Or do a search on beesource.

Beepro is powder. I search the site but could not find anything I must be searching wrong.

just do a internet search then. youll find it

>1- I was given some MannLake Bee Pro pollen substitute. How do I feed this? I am not sure if I make this into patties or put it out dry in the hive/ out of hive.

I wouldn't. If you insist, mix it 50:50 with pollen and feed it dry in an empty hive...

>2- I was also given Prohealth liquid. I was told to put this with the sugar water for the first few weeks with my new packages. What is the mix rate for 1:1 sugar water. I was thinking a tsp.

I would not use it. It will contribute to robbing and kill off the microbes in the gut of the bee that protect it from AFB, EFB, Nosema etc.

>3-How long do I provide sugar water? Our trees are about 1 week away and flowers 2 to 3 weeks.

Sounds like 2 to 3 weeks... I would until there is a source of nectar coming in. If the weather is cold you may need to warm the syrup every day.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

thank you all!

I DID IT!!!!
    I installed 3 packages and seemed to have done something right. Saturday the 11th I put my bees in their new homes. Last night I checked them, all the queens are out and they seem to be happy. Started pulling pollen in on Sunday and drinking the sugar water down.

One question. How long to I leave the small entrance on the hive before I move it to the larger entrance. (bottom entrance)

Its exciting huh!!!

Your populations will slowly drop for the next 3 weeks until you finally have new bees emerging (egg->bee = 21 days). I'd leave the entrance small until that point, and then I'd go to the larger reduced entrance. Maybe after another 2-3 weeks then open it up all the way if you want to. I've had hives with the larger reduced entrance all summer and they were quite fine. With the very small entrance you can get a bottleneck in outgoing/incoming bees. But the larger reduced entrance I don't think you'd see that except on super gigantic hives which wouldn't be a package its first year. Your call there though.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi