Question DIY Eight Frame Medium Queen Castle?

Howdy,
    For a winter project, I thought I might want to make my own queen castle for next year. Brushy Mountain first sold me on eight frame mediums, yet I consistently find that they have some items that are only ten frames or only deeps. Like their queen castles. They do have mediums, but unfortunately, they're ten frames. Now how am I supposed to winter that on top of my eight frame hives?
    So how can I make my own? What do you use for dividers, how do you separate the entrance, and what do you make the inner covers out of?
    Assume I want to keep two four frame colonies in each castle.
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Default Re: DIY Eight Frame Medium Queen Castle?

I use masonite for my dividers or 1/2 inch plywood. as for the tops a simple flat cover for each side . make sure your divider is as tall as your cover when it is on .as for the entrance one on opposite ends of the box.

Divide the eight frame in to three. If you use 1/4" luan you could make two two frame and one three frame nucs out of one eight frame box. Or you could build actual division board feeders (look at Michael Palmers pictures of these) and make them whatever width works out to make three nucs with feeders.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I was just thinking earlier today of making a medium mating nuc out of an 8-frame box with a feeder like MP uses as the divider. This would make two three frame nucs. The only extra equipment would be the feeder. It would be easy to pull a queen and combine the rest, add a super, keep the same bottom board, etc.

Tom

Does anyone have a good picture of MP's division board feeders? I can't find a good shot of one. I was hoping to take a good picture and duplicate one.