Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: The Masters Honey

Heavy use of pesticides is not be a good thing, but golf courses produce grass. Seriously, how much foraging do bees do on golf course turf?

When I see "The Masters Honey" I think of Dr. Who.

Pugs

You can approach this not only from the Name placed on the honey, but also catchy marketing slogans.......

Honey from the Golf Area (Mark is correct, but I am not totally dumber than a 5th grader)

If you label it "Honey from the Golf Area" you could further add that it is from National Hills, Augusta, GA on the label.
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 08-20-2011 at 03:34 PM.

There's a Gulf in GA? What's it called? It sure isn't The Gulf of Mexico.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Since I have built a private label for my direct marketed beef, I would like to give some advice:
    First, I love the name. I use a Biblical verse on my honey (Galations 5:22 - But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.)
    Second, if this is just a sideline business, I would just duct-tape the bee hives closed for the main 3-4 days. I would add a feeder with 1:1 pretty thin to allow them to get water.
    If you plan to expand and sell a large amount of Honey, say over $5k, then I would use an on-line product like legal-zoom.com to develop a small LLC.

I am very interested in finding out how this turned out. I think you have a great idea. I can see people needing to bring home something nice to a spouse who is not interested on golf and they just spent a ton of money going to the Master's. If their spouse was interested, they would have atteneded!

Good luck!
    Phil
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

I hope you don't take me wrong. From a business perspective it is always best to stay away from religious or political referenced to your product or company's name. Putting a cross or steeple image could reference that the product may be made by a church or monks. Some may feel mislead or offended.

I do like the title of The Master's Honey. I'm not religious and would have not seen a connection there. I find it a rather good name signalizing a strong good product. I'm sure you will find a good title.

I think you can write something like "A special honey extraction celebrating the golf tournament of 2011 in xyz town". I would avoid the tournament's name, because of licensing issues, as you have mentioned.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    I hope you don't take me wrong. From a business perspective it is always best to stay away from religious or political referenced to your product or company's name. Putting a cross or steeple image could reference that the product may be made by a church or monks. Some may feel mislead or offended.
    I politely disagree with excluding religious info from products. If you can do it tastefully where it adds to the labeling or doesn't detract from it, I encourage it! You may dissuade some, but I bet you would encourage enough to even out. People respect folks willing to stand for what they believe in. I think chik-fil-a is a good example.

Great luck pastor!

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
    When I see "The Masters Honey" I think of Dr. Who.

Pugs
    This label needs a blue phonebooth!
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates

In all seriousness though, pick a name you can live with for the long haul - as someone already said, trends come and go.
    Secondly, I wouldn't put my bees anywhere near a place where they use so many chemicals.
    As for me, all I know is that I know nothing...
    - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Edcrosbys View Post
    I People respect folks willing to stand for what they believe in. I think chik-fil-a is a good example.
    I respect people who stand for something, and who live it. But sticking it on labels, bumper stickers, signs, jewelry, etc, is just gratuitous and smacks of "doing thine alms ... sounding a trumpet before thee". In my craft work I refuse to use religious symbols, even when people are buying. I think it's tawdry. And for those of you who recall that I started this part of the thread - tongue was firmly in cheek at the time.

What's with the Chick-Fil-A reference?

Quote Originally Posted by Edcrosbys View Post
    I politely disagree with excluding religious info from products. If you can do it tastefully where it adds to the labeling or doesn't detract from it, I encourage it! You may dissuade some, but I bet you would encourage enough to even out. People respect folks willing to stand for what they believe in. I think chik-fil-a is a good example.

Great luck pastor!
    Well stated... In Kentucky the Amish have no problem placing their religion on everything they do. There is a back-log of work for them (building houses, barns, etc) and their agricultural goods fly off the shelves.
    Grandchildren are the best.... Bees a close second....

What sort of religious symbology is Amish? I've never seen any.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What sort of religious symbology is Amish? I've never seen any.
    I can see where NKB might be coming from... To me it seems that the Amish's craftsmanship, reputation, and culture tend to impress a sense of their reverence and religion upon most people.

Ed

Exactly. They LIVE it.

In the King James version of the New Testament the word "conversation" is used in several verses (and a couple of times in the Old Testament). The meaning of the word as written then and what it means today are different. The meaning when it was written refers not to talking or speaking with our tongues but rather in how we act, how we carry ourselves, how we interact with one another, how we journey through life, the image that we present to the world, etc.,. Most Amish do a pretty good job of presenting to the world what they are...and their work is part of their "conversation".

OK watch out this thread is heading toward "tailgator"
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Really? I don't think so.

Tailgator? What's that?

PastorJ, All of my honey is marketed under my brand name "His Hive Honey Farm" so I think that "The Masters' Honey" would be a great name for your honey in general, (I don't know if I punctuated that correctly) especially since I think you know where all blessing, including our honey, comes from. I do, however, think that just labeling some honey as "Masters'' to take advantage of the golf course and make it look like it is a spiritual name is somehow unethical unless you have permission from the golf course to use it. May His blessings guide you in this.
    Laurence
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12