Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Masters Honey

I live less than a mile from The August National Golf Course. For those of you who don't know, they hold a little golf tournament there each spring that tends to garner a bit of attention in the sporting world.

Currently I have one hive at my house and I don't feel comfortable placing anymore there due to our neighbors. But, I am about to get permission to place hives right next door to the golf course.

I realize bees will travel up to 2 miles to collect nectar, but I love the idea that these hives will be 500 yards away from the most famous golf course in the world.

Question: Would I be able to market my honey during Masters Week, when all those golf fans come to our little town as being a specialty honey(more of a souvenir) and if so how much would you charge a tourist for jar that was cultivated right next to the course.

The National is super protective of all their merchandising. No way I could use their logo or even the phrase The Masters (unless I tied it into a bible reference). I was thinking of naming it National Hills Honey. That's the name of my neighborhood and also the area where the course is located.

Would love for some feedback. What would you do if you could place hives and harvest honey next to such a famous venue?

Default Re: The Masters Honey

Stay away from trends. Yes set up a stand and sell in accordance with your town/city regulations. But develope a brand that reflects you and your honey. Trends come and go. So do events.

I think it's a safe bet that "The Masters" will be around for a long long time

I also imagine they protect their name aggressively and wouldn't care for anyone even alluding to the name "The Masters".
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I dunno...something like "Honey from the Master" or "The Master's Honey". Proverbs 24:13-14 is good scripture. Have nothing whatsoever relating to the Masters Tournament on the label. ???

Of course you could simply make up a label with the date and location printed boldly on it. The fans that come will know what that means.

Ed

The only local exception to their aggressive protection is a church located at "The Master's Plaza" directly across from one the main entrance. I could do the same and attach a verse to connect it with my faith, but I'm not even interested in attempting to go down that route. Hence the name: "National Hills Honey"

"National Hills" is synonymous with "The Masters".

Ok, well something like:

<small type>I had a sweet time at...
    <large type>National Hills
    <large type>"Date of Masters Tournament" (whenever that is...I'm no golfer)

Quote Originally Posted by PastorJ View Post
    Question: Would I be able to market my honey during Masters Week, when all those golf fans come to our little town as being a specialty honey(more of a souvenir) and if so how much would you charge a tourist for jar that was cultivated right next to the course.

What would you do if you could place hives and harvest honey next to such a famous venue?
    Capitalize on it! I'd focus on the souvenir aspect and have small containers - 2/4/8 oz containers. Many people will spend $2 for a 2oz bear before they'd spend $8 for a 1 lb container. Plus, for anyone that flew in, a 2oz bear can go in their carry-on bag. There's also a subtle tie-in with having "Golden Bears" of honey for any of us old enough to remember a certain Nicklaus fellow...
    Last edited by indypartridge; 08-18-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: fix typo

I recall reading somewhere that golf courses use five times the amount of pesticides that farmers do.

I guess it is all good marketing strategy but some little thing about all of the suggested associations smacks of a bit other than the sweetness of pure honey selling itself.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I guess it is all good marketing strategy but some little thing about all of the suggested associations smacks of a bit other than the sweetness of pure honey selling itself.
    Hmm, you got me thinking about this....

If you put a bee on a label of honey then that smacks of a bit of pain and suffering to some people and anaphylactic shock to others. Flowers on the label may smack of a bit of allergies to some people. Images of beekeepers on the label may simply smack of bits of fear of bees to some. Even PET@ might think that images on the label of honeybees working themselves to death smacks a bit of animal cruelty.

Some people will be offended or scared by these type of labels so they're probably not a good idea.
    I see your point.

PastorJ, you might want to consider keeping images of bees, flowers, and beekeepers off of your label.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by indypartridge View Post
    Capitalize on it! I'd focus on the souvenir aspect and have small containers - 2/4/8 oz containers. Many people will spend $2 for a 2oz bear before they'd spend $8 for a 1 lb container. Plus, for anyone that flew in, a 2oz bear can go in their carry-on bag. There's also a subtle tie-in with having "Golden Bears" of honey for any of us old enough to remember a certain Nicklaus fellow...
    I like the idea of the smaller containers. Lot's of folks like to bring back souveniers to their friends and fellow workers. Seeing that they can get 10 unique gifts for a low price and that wouldn't take up too much room in the luggage would be enticing to some.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I guess it is all good marketing strategy
    Yes, exactly. If you can sell a 2oz bottle of honey filled with pesticides from a gold course for 20$, they aren't buying it for the honey anyway.

It is ALL about the marketing and in this persons shoes this could be a golden opportunity, pun intended.

People LOVE this kind of stuff and pay ridiculous amounts of money for it.

There's ZERO doubt in my mind that honey "Possibly made" from nectar from August National will sell for 4-5 or more times than the purest honey on the planet from an unknown source.

If a person is will to pay a bagillion dollars for a piece of clothing that they could pick up at Walmart for 5$ just because someone "Special" wore it, they'll pay a ridiculous amount of money for honey from a famous golf course.

From a marketing and sales perspective this is one of those "Once in a life time" opportunities. These people are actually eating history :-)

~Matt

Is the word "Masters" spelled correctly? Is it plural or possesive? "Masters" or "Master's" or "Masters'"? Master of what?

Good luck. Golf courses use massive amounts of chemicals and one stung golfer might end up being a nightmare.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

It's obvious, particularly since you seem to be a pastor: "The Master's Honey", with a picture of a steeple ... and the date.

An empty Cross or an occupied one?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    "Steeple", I repeated, evasively.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    An empty one.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Good luck. Golf courses use massive amounts of chemicals and one stung golfer might end up being a nightmare.
    You're the second person to mention this and I was not aware of it. It's not the only place they would be working though, they don't call Augusta the Garden City for nothing. Would these Chemicals be harmful to the bees or to their honey?

The Golf course itself is like Fort Knox. Hardly any way to see in our out. The location I've picked is very discreet. Will catch early sun, but won't be visible to people unless you're really looking for them. It's also off the beaten path.

During the the Masters week, daily attendance from Monday to Sunday is estimated at 30-40k people. That's a lot of people looking to take home a souvenir from the most famous Golf tournament in the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast