Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Got Stung AGAIN! Through My Brushy-Mountain Goatskin Gloves.... Any Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    People have been sort of saying it, but the bottom line is if you don't want to get stung through you glove, try not to make them want to sting you...
    I used to be gloveless in the beginning until I started getting stung from queenless or "the weather is bad so we're grumpy today" hives. How do you avoid getting stung in those situations? They seem to always want to nail me on the top of my hands just between the knuckles. Then I'm awake all night scratching my hands raw it itches so bad. You name it I've tried it on the remedies to stop the itching. So..I'm destined to wear gloves. The dishwasher gloves aren't bad though. I can live with them.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Default Re: Got Stung AGAIN! Through My Brushy-Mountain Goatskin Gloves.... Any Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Some people, I've already read posts from, believe going veil-less is too risky, but with my now older eyes, seeing what I want to see with a veil on, is almost impossible, and even getting regularly stung in and on the nose, has only been a minor annoyance. I guess I'm not an actuarian, so I don't worry too much about the, what if's.
    You're a wise man Joe and I wish I had your knowledge and immunity to bee stings. I started wearing a veil because I got stung in the lower left eyelid. It was miraculous that the stinger didn't make it into my eye. My veil and I have become good friends since.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Then, of course, there are episodes of The X-Files, where the plot includes using the stings of honey bees as a mechanism for chemical/biological/other payload delivery. Hopefully we aren't yet dealing with those kinds of issues - natural or man-made.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I'm new to the craft but I found out early on that gloves and I don't get along very well. If you happen to smash a bee or a bee stings the glove, it seems to spread the desire to defend throughout the colony. Wearing the gloves over and over just adds to the problem. Now I carry a wet towel, like a golfer, and keep my hands clean. Been at it since April and have a total of four stings from my four hives. Feels good when it stops hurting, about a minute.

I have yet to get stung through my goatskin gloves (knock on wood) but I have scraped a number of stingers off the leather. I also take my time and make sure I am not crushing any bees as I manipulate frames...but taking my time is easy with only one hive. I can see it being a VERY different story if you have a lot of hives or worse yet...you are a commercial keep and time IS money.

i go bare handed, i can feel more and can tell if im smashing them. but i dont think you can do that with any hive or any apiary

Quote Originally Posted by VirginiaMan View Post
    I All - ell, it happened again! I received a sting on my hand that went right through the "best" Goatskin gloves from Brushy Mountain. Does anyone have any suggestions? I thought I was "sting-proof" with my: Bee-Suit; Gloves; Boots! HELP!!!!!! (Thakns all for all the great information)
    Just think of all the stings you didn't take, because you wore protection. Whatever bees can sting thru, eventually they will. Be thankful that they don't as much as they would were you not wearing protection.

Go w/out gloves next time and tell us how many stings you took.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedBeek View Post
    What? You wear gloves? What did you wear when you got tattooed?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by rtsquirrel View Post
    The thinner the glove, the better the love.
    http://www.galeton.com/nylon-gloves-.../6840-product/
    Are we talking about beekeeping
    Honeydew

I got mine a Dollar General. Get ready for sweaty hands.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    What? You wear gloves? What did you wear when you got tattooed?
    See...that's the point...I didn't want tattooed but since I wasn't wearing my gloves when I walked in to a tattoo shop one day I ended up inked...so now I wear my gloves everywhere I go.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12