Thread: Handholds

Default Handholds

I've probably posted about this before a couple of years ago, but I'm asking again:
    How do Brushy and Dadant etc cut the D-shaped handholds in the box sides? I have asked and people tell me it's "some kind of cutter." Well, duh....

I really don't want to be advised to use cleats or dado cuts or molding-head cutters. I just want to see what kind of machine it is that cuts the handholds. Is it a fly-cutter or shaper or a specially-designed shafted tool or what? And then I'd like to know if anybody has come up with a device to easily and safely and quickly cut these in a small workshop? Lawrence Cutts (former FL bee-inspector)told me he would send me a plan of his table-saw jig several years ago and I have yet to receive it. He uses some sort of cammed ramp-slide jig.

Thanks
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Default Re: Handholds

The some kind of cutter they use is probably a moulding cutter head inside of a machine that automatically cycles through boards. I currently have in place a cove router bit, that is big enough and with a extended shank allowes me to cut the handholds that way, same consept as a shaper with a cove bit (its basically exactly the same just using a router). I (since I have the ability know) and going to be implementing a system that uses a fanuc robot to push the boards through the shapper, I can imagine that mann lake dadant etc. ( the larger comapnies) might possibly have a similar system as well.

Something you might try is to call Western Bee Supply. Ask to talk to Rick Molena (He runs the place). He might help with some
    information. I "think, not totally sure" they do fabrication work for Dadant. And also, Allen Dick talks about something they had
    on his blog Honey Bee World.

youtube- georgiabees uses a skillsaw to open up the handles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWigi...yer_detailpage

Quote Originally Posted by woodguyrob View Post
    youtube- georgiabees uses a skillsaw to open up the handles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWigi...yer_detailpage
    Impressive job using skill saw!

Can't you cut them easier and more efficient with a router?

I spoke with a small manufacturer last winter and he said that his handholds were made with a. Custom table saw blade, $300 bucks from a local machine shop.
    For that kind of money I'll stick with my glued and screwed external handles

Folks,

See this BeeSource link for a description of an industrial tool made by Oliver Carbide Products that will make the best handle. The correct part number is 122 and it is available from tire repair outlets nationwide. Google search "Part 122 Rubberhog SSG". This tool will last a lifetime. The cost varies by the retailers but ranges from $53 and up.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...light=carlinmo

Contact me if you need additional information.

Carl Korschgen
    carlkorsch@aol.com

The router bits to make a D shaped handhold are only about $85 I'll try to get some pics of mine when I get back home in a few days.

On my website picture #5 is how I make my handholds, its done with a router bit. a simple cove bit is all it is. http://beebabys.com/about.html

Just watched Carl's video. It looks like a quick and easy way of doing it, and his jig is very well thought out.