Default Missed a swarm - right next door.

I had a message on my answering from my neighbor that lives less than 1/4 mile away. "I have a bee swarm in my backyard. I think you have bees, so if you want them, call me and get them. " I then had a second call from him that said he didn't hear from me, so called another beekeeper and they got the swarm.

I called him to get the specifics. He said a swarm all of a sudden descended in his back yard and clustered on a branch about 10' up. He called me and then called the county extension office who said a swarm usually only sticks around for a couple of hours, so the neighbor decided to call another beekeeper since he didn't hear from me.

I don't think it was my swarm. Out of my two hives that came through the winter, I split one so they shouldn't have swarmed. The other hive I added another hive body to so they had more room, and there seemed to be alot of bees as usual coming and going this evening, so I don't think they were mine. I know 2 years ago, when I was off work from surgery, I was out walking and a swarm came from the woods, flew over me and headed in the same direction as this neighbor, so I'm assuming it was a feral colony.

I did have a swarm trap up, but it must not have interested them.

Default Re: Missed a swarm - right next door.

Just because you split a hive dont mean it wont swarm.I had a hive that I got into a couple of weeks ago and they were getting ready to swarm. There were 2 deeps and 3 mediums and when I opened it up the mediums were all full and capped,the top deep was full of capped queen cells and I found the queen all the way in the bottom box.I took the box with the queen and removed it to another location and left the other box with the cells there.I put a deep full of foundation on both of them. The hive with the queen swarmed about 2 weeks after I had moved it. Our cousin where the hive was located said he watched them fly away.
    If they got removed within a couple of hours of getting there they probably never got a chance to check out your swarm trap.

Default Re: Missed a swarm - right next door.

Had a 2 1/2 - 3 # swarm 30' from my hives about 7' in a cherry tree. I cut the branch and laid it out in front of a waiting empty hive sitting on top of a sheet and watched them march in. I did get a glimpse of the queen. Not sure if this swarm was from my hives or not.