Default Bleach in bucket for bee water

A man told me he uses a couple glugs of bleach in a five gallon bucket of water and put a cloth or towel in as a wick and drapes it over the edge of the bucket and the bees love it , like pool water I guess. Any body have any thoughts on this ,Brian

Default Re: Bleach in bucket for bee water

I would believe him. Someone I know not to be a liar adds bleach to his syrup to keep it from spoiling. BUT, I don't know if it is harmful to the bees. If it would keep the bees using your water source rather than the neighbors pool and getting you in trouble, it certainly would be a good metholdology.

It seems like it would teach them to search out water with the fragrance of chlorine, such as a neighbors pool water.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

They do that anyway. In one of my classes, the professor said that the bees will actively search for water that has a "smell" to it. They will chose chlorinated water (with bleach or pool water, or even urine) over clear, distilled, pure water. It's easier for them to orient to it.

From what I've seen, you wouldn't be teaching them any new tricks.

I don't think I'll be doing it any time soon though. I used to be a Certified Pool Operator, and I've seen some nasty things happen to animals and insects that are exposed to chlorinated water. Drop a frog in the water, he becomes paralyzed within about a minute or two. The effects wear off if you take him out soon, but just imagine what it's doing to your bees. It will evaporate quickly, but still it isn't intended for internal consumption (for you, or the bees).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    It seems like it would teach them to search out water with the fragrance of chlorine, such as a neighbors pool water.
    Yes and Lois Lane could blow up and Earth go to Krypton!

It actually seems like a sound idea, but a couple glugs might be too much chlorine. I guess the idea is to keep the water fresh and to prevent nasties from growing in it. Maybe a little less chlorine so it would be closer to tap water and less like pool water?

Why not use tap water then?

My bees like bird bathes with a healthy amount of avian feces in it.

Not only feces, but also the nastier and older it is the more they seem to like it. I have running water (fresh) and they don't touch it. Just enough to trickle. But they sure do seem like the old standing brackish water. Oh well at least they stay away from the neighbors pool...so far.

>It seems like it would teach them to search out water with the fragrance of chlorine, such as a neighbors pool water.

That would be my concern as well as chlorine killing microbes in the hive which are needed to displace pathogens as well as needed for other purposes.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Reminder Re: Bleach in bucket for bee water

My bees drink directly from the troughs that are out for the horses and cows. They all have floats to keep the water full and I often see them going into the slot between the float and the wall of the trough. I have used some sand paper to toughen the edge at water level to minimize drowning, but they prefer to drink from the algae mats when they can. Sometimes I do lose some bees to the goldfish that are there to keep them free of mosquito larvae, but I guess that's part of the cycle...

I did consider setting up a cloronated source just to see if they liked it better but I have gotten to it yet!

I have an old Rubbermaid Livestock watering trough, from when I had beef cattle.

I put cinder blocks in it so that birds would not drown in it.

Now the bees use it some, but prefer the fountain/bird bath that we have in the front yard under a saw tooth oak.

I put a water souce out for one of my hives in the country, I put the bucket about 15 feet away and added some lemongrass oil, they seemed to find that real quick and put it to use. I put some wood in there and a solar powered pond pump to keep it going. The last time I tried putting water out for bees, it went stale and they never touched it.

C2