Thread: Nuc failure

Default Nuc failure

I made up 30 five frame Nucs three weeks ago using queen cells. I went through them yesterday and most of them have eggs and larva and the queens look good. But I have two that the queens are small with no eggs and three that have no eggs and no queen. Out of the five failures four still have three frames of bees. I would like some ideas on what to do with these failed Nucs. I happen to have several virgin queens that are 2 days old that I could use somehow but from what I have read virgins can be difficult to be accepted in a nuc that has been queenless for nearly a month. I'm just looking some good ideas to use the failed Nucs some way.

Default Re: Nuc failure

Direct release them. A nuc that is hopelessly queenless is prime for acceptance of a virgin queen. I even do it in laying worker nucs.
    The only time it fails me is if there is a self made virgin already there you may have missed or she is out on a mating flight. Just do your math if you have a reluctant nuc.

If they are pulling at her legs and wings they are going to ball her.
    If they are feeding her, tongues out, it's a good sign they are accepting her.
    Sometimes they will ignore her, older strong confident queens will strut right out onto the frame. Some younger virgins will be timid. Some will pipe like crazy of acceptance is right on the edge. They are all different. You can learn a lot by trying and watching the reactions.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn & Wild lines.

If you made nucs using queen cells three weeks is not enough.
    USDA Zone 7a - elevation 148 feet

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    If you made nucs using queen cells three weeks is not enough.
    ??? Most people make splits with ripe queen cells. Which equates to a 5 week cycle, ample time for a queen to emerge nature bread and begin laying. Don't you think?

Thanks Lauri. I will give it a try. What would you do if you had no virgins? My plan was to place another ripe cell to the failures but my grafted cell started to emerge before I could get them placed. I was out of the country for 9 days so I grafted just before I left thinking I would place them as soon as I got back. I thought I had 10 days. I knew I was pushing it but did not want to graft 10 days later thinking it would be too long to have the Nucs queenless. My thinking was there would not be enough nurse bees to care for the brood once the second queen started laying. Am I overthinking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappy870 View Post
    But I have two that the queens are small with no eggs
    These two probably didn't accept the cell you gave them, and what you see is a freshly emerged virgin that hasn't mated yet, timing is about right for that if they started with a larvae 3 weeks ago when you made them up.