Default Could one on my queens be dead already?

1st year beekeeper in Southern Ohio area. Got 2 packages Monday 4/27, hived them the same day. Today 5/1, figured it is time to release the queens. They were in CA mini cages with no candy, just a sideways cork.

1st queen waltzed into the hive like she owned the place, bees got out of her way. Easy peazy.

2nd one was much different. As soon as the cork was out, several workers rushed into the queen cage, and I couldn't see what happened. After some smoke and shaking bees off the cage, there were no signs of the queen. Never saw where she went.

Could the behavior seen in the 2nd queen release indicate the bees didn't like her all too much?

Default Re: Could one on my queens be dead already?

I am not trying to be difficult, but it could go either way. Leave them alone for 1 week. Then go through the frames looking for eggs and or larvae. If you find any your queen is fine. Close up the hive and do not bother them for another week.

Naw you're fine, I figured I could always check later. I just wondered if the different 'welcoming' behavior possibly meant anything.

If she is still alive she'll be named Schrödinger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrogdor View Post
    If she is still alive she'll be named Schrödinger.
    Uh oh, a quantum physics reference. My head may explode.

Most likely what you saw in the second hive was an excited welcoming Everyone wanted to touch the new queen.. We see this behavior in humans at the Country music awards!

I am from SE Ohio and the packages you describe sound exactly like the ones I picked up in Spencer Ohio about a week and a half ago. Cali packages with queen cage having a cork in sideways.
    I'm guessing no candy? When I picked them up they gave me a small sample of fondant. I removed the cork and put a sufficient amount in the opening. I went back five days later and all 3
    queens were released, so I do not know how they acted upon release. I will wait about another week and ahalf to go in and check on the queens and how they are laying.
    This is my first experience with California packages and have high hopes. Good luck.