Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Extracting honey?

I have a Maxant 3-6-9 frame extractor. How do I set the frames in? Top bar to middle or top bar toward the outside. The last time I extracted honey It took me a long time to empty a load of frames.The harvest before that it was real eazy and fast. Getting ready to remove I believe to be palm honey?Thanks for all the help so far.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

Default Re: Extracting honey?

Top bar towards the outside. If you put them in in reverse you will be spinning honey into the comb. The cells are pitched upwards towards the top of the comb or top bar.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I was wondering about that.

Thanks for beating me to it sqkrck
    http://www.maxantindustries.com/extractors.html
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

I have seen it happen, where in a honey house w/ three or four people, some of which are new or don't pay close attention, the frames get put in backwards and have to be respun. Is that a word? Respun.

Stick around long enuf and you see all sorts of things. Like frames put in upside down supers and stacked on the pallet that way. When one comes across them the next year, out in the bee yard, all you can do is shake your head and fix it.

Another funny thing is when you go to a hive and find a box on a hive upside down and full of honey. Which means someone wasn't paying attention when they put the super on the pallet and then someone else wasn't paying attention when they put the super on the hive, some how. And then the bees modified the comb so it would hold the honey. Now that's funny.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

They're smarter than we are.

We spun20 med frames of we believe to be palm honey and we bottled 5 Gals.
    A vet is someone at some time in there life signed a blank check to the people of America that included there life.

I'll try this again.We spun 20 med frames of we believe to be palm honey and we got 5 Gals.

Quote Originally Posted by KelpticFest View Post
    They're smarter than we are.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford View Post
    I'll try this again.We spun 20 med frames of we believe to be palm honey and we got 5 Gals.
    Isn't that what you just said?

A Vet is someone who, at some time in their life, signed a blank check to the people of America, which included their life. They stepped up and laid it on the line for you and me.

1.make sure you uncap the frames...honey comes out easier[I drove to my friends house 'cause his new extractor was broke]
    2.make sure you open&drain the honey from the extractor[I drove to another guys house 'cause his extractor motor had a burning smell&was barely turning....guess it was because the frames were 2"deep in honey]

Isn't that how "Spun Honey" is produced?

Been there, done that. Sometimes a frame of honey will blow out, causing the exit pipe to become clogged. Which one might not notice until after the second batch of frames have been spun. "Gee, the honey sure is coming out of the pipe slowly. I wonder why?" Happens.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwinbees View Post
    2.make sure you open&drain the honey from the extractor[I drove to another guys house 'cause his extractor motor had a burning smell&was barely turning....guess it was because the frames were 2"deep in honey]
    You mean the high priced extractors do not have a thermal overload installed into the motor? If you burn one up I would replace the motor with one that has an overload. Amazing, you pay that much for an extractor and it doesn't have a simple overload.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Now that I think about it, we were just putting the frames in willy-nilly. Ooops. The things you have to learn!!! Thanks for the tip, guys.

Thankfully, we've never arranged a hive body upside down...
    Mil Apostol - Chef, Beekeeper, Gardener, Forager, and Geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

Does the Capon EVER have anything good to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    You mean the high priced extractors do not have a thermal overload installed into the motor? If you burn one up I would replace the motor with one that has an overload. Amazing, you pay that much for an extractor and it doesn't have a simple overload.
    Not sure which extractor he was using, but extracting honey with the gate closed is certain death on the motor! Once that honey builds up, it puts tremendous workload on the motor.
    www.maxantindustries.com

Of course it would. But we are talking about debris building up on the inside and closing off the output which is a common occurrence if you are not baby sitting the extractor. Isn't the advantage of a large extractor freeing up your time to uncap the next set of frames?

As and OEM building equipment for a long time you would know of this condition and solve the problem by supplying a thermal overload with a reset button on the motor. For years it was common on every sears table saw due to the same overload condition. Whether it is now I don't know. I haven't bought anything new lately. A thermally protected motor is a readily available option and would be considered a difference between quality made vs. cheap.

If the honey gate is not opened that would be considered abuse. However in the normal operation of the equipment a condition occurs that essentially does the same thing is not abuse. It is a Murphy-ism and an OEM should eliminate all Murphy-isms that it can. Otherwise labeling your equipment quality made is a joke.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Acebird, I do label my equipment as quality made, because I make it. I dont make motors. I rely on the beekeeper to read instructions and use their extractor as it was designed. We havent been in business for as long as we have by selling jokes.
    Last edited by MAXANT; 08-14-2011 at 08:00 AM.
    www.maxantindustries.com

Of course it would. But we are talking about debris building up on the inside and closing off the output which is a common occurrence if you are not baby sitting the extractor.

Otherwise labeling your equipment quality made is a joke.
    Babysitting an extractor is an over exaggeration. Paying attention is what is needed.

What is a joke is you telling MAXANT that their Quality Equipment Label is a joke. You have how many years extracting how many tons of honey? I'll go w/ MAXANT.

we are talking about debris building up on the inside and closing off the output which is a common occurrence if you are not baby sitting the extractor.
    Common, according to who? Can I have a show of hands? You don't see mine.
    Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast