Default Basic First Aid Kit for Bees? rx pharmacy treatment medicine

What would make up a good, but basic, first aid kit for bees? Things that would be good to have on hand in case some of the more common maladies/pests strike your hives? I'm curious about both chemical and natural remedies (I'd rather have natural ones, but...).

If I was to put together three or four items in a "first aid kit" what would be the "gotta haves"?

Thanks,
    Ed

Reminder Re: Basic First Aid Kit for Bees? rx pharmacy treatment medicine

I would say,
    1. Plaster for broken legs and damaged wings.
    2. Glue to fix damaged combs.
    3. an scissor to cut stingers, it would save the live of the drones.
    4. A hair dryer to warm up cold bees in front of the hive so they can go home.
    5. Chamomile in syrup to protect them from a cold during winter.

Default Re: Basic First Aid Kit for Bees? rx pharmacy treatment medicine

Have you heard the saying ask 10 beekeepers a question and get 10 different answers? This is one of those questions. Number 1 thing in my opinion to keep on hand is feed. Feed those bees when they need it. Keep healthy strong hives and you will have less problems with wax moths, shb, and other diseases. For example, I had a hive starting to dwindle over at one of my yards. It was two swarms that I combined and should of been exploding with bees and it did for a while. Then it started to dwindle. Why, I asked myself. So I opened the hive and took a good look. Healthy bees, large population, plenty of drawn comb, and then I seen it. Low pollen and honey stores. The queen had shut down because we were in a dearth. I started feeding to stimulate her into laying. 3 gallons later and that hive has 10 to 12 frames of brood and is ready for the fall flow if we get one. Varroa is an entire different thing though. Read about the different methods of treatment and see what works for you. But again, healthy well fed bees are productive happy bees. Starving bees are unproductive possibly dead bees.

Default Re: Basic First Aid Kit for Bees? rx pharmacy treatment medicine

Well Dan, I'm hoping I can get 10 beeks to respond...I'll average out what they tell me.

Thanks for re-enforcing the need to feed at times. Recently the user Seymore was kind enough to share a situation where a colony died from starvation. That and other reports of no honey or pollen stores has made an impression on me. I will not be getting my two colonies until the first of the year, my mentor is holding them at his apiary to overwinter them for me. So I'm studying up and trying to get a grip on some of the existing knowledge. First of the year I enter the school of hard knocks.

With your dwindling hive did you feed pollen along with the syrup? Pollen feed is something I need to understand more thoroughly. The who, what, when, and such. Sounds like that hive responded quiet nicely to the feeding!

I am studying what I can about mites, SHB, and bees in general when I have the time...even got an audio version of Langstroth's H&HB in the jeep. My wife thinks I've gone bee crazy. I'm down in south central Alabama, too far inland for the gulf breezes and too far south of the Appalachian foothills to get the mountain breezes...bad area for SHB from all reports. Thankfully my mentor has experienced very few SHB, so far. So, besides studying about mites I've been trying to keep up with the SHB discussions, too.

I wish I had gotten interested 25 years ago...younger, and a time when you didn't have to worry much more than wax moths and a few other local critters. But, getting in now I'm just trying to be prepared by asking questions.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Ed