Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: adventures in lip balm...plz share advice and recipes

yeah, the shea butter in this kit i described as funky, actually smelled rancid, i ditched it. i looked through past posts for lip balm recipes and tips and found some great advice. i have two recipes i am going to try, and one is similar to a popular and well known company, known for their lip balm and other products. i'd like to email them for their recipe, but i don't think they'd give it to me!

when i try these two recipes, i will post here.

might be off topic, but now i would like to know where you all get your supplies? have some suggestions, but would like some additional input on reputable companies to purchase supplies from.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbee1 View Post
    sorta has a faint oldish funky smell to it
    so i googled it and am thinking i need to find another use for it, seems it can go bad?
    Remember they found honey in the pyramids and it was still good, Not shea butter....
    Honeydew

I use the tubes and get those as well as jars for hand salve and shrink wraps from SKS supplies. prices and service are good. I use beeswax, almond oil, vitamin e, a touch of honey and essential oil for the flavor. Be sure to check on oils you plan on using. You can also buy flavorings. I used to pour into individual tuber lined up in a stand I made, but when you spilled it was quite messy. Then I got one of those plastic trays that the tubes pop into and I wouldn't be without it now.

thanks berkshire bee, what did you mean by "checking on the oils"? where do you purchase your oils and butters? i have the tools to make my own stand but spilling would be messy on anything but some sort of plastic.

just rediscovered this thread and never answered the last question. I was talking about using essential oils for flavoring. You have to read up on which ones you can and can't use. For example citrus can cause photosensitivity.

Does the honey keep the lip balm from hardening? I am new to making lip balm. The first batch I made had coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E and a little peppermint and spearmint oil. People love the smell and the lip balm but I have some concern about the peppermint and spearmint not being the greatest for lips. I may change it to a touch of honey instead. Thanks for any insights. I may make some today.

I will let you know how I made out adding honey to my lip balm today.
    I melted my bees wax and used a formula of 2 parts oils to one part bees wax so It came out to 4 oz beeswax to 6 oz coconut oil and 2 oz shea butter. I then dripped 3 globs of honey into it and double boiled it for a while. When I eventually poured it into the tubes it seemed fine but I found after more careful inspection that a few of the tubes appear to have what looks like straight honey in the bottom half of the tube. So I got a few tubes that the honey didn't seem to mix right in but the rest came out okay. It is very soft and I think it will work well to soothe lips. I purposefully avoided flavoring this batch and using vitamin E. I wanted to see if my lips respond differently. So far so good.

I often I the past, have honey that leaks from tubes. One the the way I compat this is the last of the pour I pour in to a tin the I give to freinds and family that have demanding hand needs and don't care if their is a touch of honey in it. Every time I make them I try a little bight differently. The last time instead of pouring as soon as it all melted I waited till it cool to the temp was around 120 deg. Will not do that again. For me melt all ingredients and as soon as I get everything in and stirred in then pour.

It is interesting how even when I mixed it thoroughly the honey separated. I save some of the tubes that have honey in the bottom and I will follow your lead My Smokepole and give it to friends and family. My main thing is I don't want to make lip balm that can irritate lips. I am not sure what my final recipe will be but I read that Vitamin E and Pepperint and on one website people even claimed that coconut oil dried their lips. Jojoba oil was recommended. I am still working through the developmental phases of becoming a lip balm creator.

What did you use as an emulsifier? Honey is like a water phase.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I didn't use an emulsifier I just went ahead and figured some of the honey would mix into the oils and wax if I stirred it enough but a bunch of it didn't. I know water and oil don't mix. I suppose I was using wishful thinking but denying reality. Do you know what the solution is to get the honey to merge with the lip balm?

I use lethicin.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I used lecithin once and have a bunch of it left over. Can you please explain how I would emulsify the honey before I add it to the oils. That would be helpful. Thank You! I'm new at lip balm.

Mix honey, melted wax and lethicin...mix well. Don't add honey to wax until cool enough not to denature the enzymes in the honey.

Thanks, I will do some experimenting with the ingredients.

Kalamazoo bee club did a nice talk on all of the last Wednesday. They are supposed to put it up on there web site eventually.

The lecithin I have is in a granular form. I found a couple cosmetic links that mention a liquid form of lecithin. I may have the wrong form.
    I found a couple recipes for lip balm that mention adding a small amount of honey that didn't mention using an emulsifier.
    I may have to look up the Kalamazoo bee club's website down the line. Thanks for mentioning that. My-smokepole.

Whenever I see the name Kalamazoo I think of vintage guitars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_...lectric_Guitar