Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: adventures in lip balm...plz share advice and recipes

yeah, the shea butter in this kit i described as funky, actually smelled rancid, i ditched it. i looked through past posts for lip balm recipes and tips and found some great advice. i have two recipes i am going to try, and one is similar to a popular and well known company, known for their lip balm and other products. i'd like to email them for their recipe, but i don't think they'd give it to me!

when i try these two recipes, i will post here.

might be off topic, but now i would like to know where you all get your supplies? have some suggestions, but would like some additional input on reputable companies to purchase supplies from.

Quote Originally Posted by riverbee1 View Post
    sorta has a faint oldish funky smell to it
    so i googled it and am thinking i need to find another use for it, seems it can go bad?
    Remember they found honey in the pyramids and it was still good, Not shea butter....
    Honeydew

I use the tubes and get those as well as jars for hand salve and shrink wraps from SKS supplies. prices and service are good. I use beeswax, almond oil, vitamin e, a touch of honey and essential oil for the flavor. Be sure to check on oils you plan on using. You can also buy flavorings. I used to pour into individual tuber lined up in a stand I made, but when you spilled it was quite messy. Then I got one of those plastic trays that the tubes pop into and I wouldn't be without it now.

thanks berkshire bee, what did you mean by "checking on the oils"? where do you purchase your oils and butters? i have the tools to make my own stand but spilling would be messy on anything but some sort of plastic.

just rediscovered this thread and never answered the last question. I was talking about using essential oils for flavoring. You have to read up on which ones you can and can't use. For example citrus can cause photosensitivity.