Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adventures in lip balm...plz share advice and recipes

Want to venture out and make some lip balm. Would like feedback on how you fill your lip balm tubes, your best selling recipes, and also tips, hints and tricks anyone has learned from experience. Thanks much.

Default Re: adventures in lip balm...plz share advice and recipes

1 part beeswax,2 parts cocoa butter,2 parts sweet almond oil. I use the lip balm 1/3 oz. lip balm jars.

the lip balm jars would seem easier to fill, are these more popular than tubes? also, do you use plastic or tin?

I use the clear plastic 10 ml jar with black lid @ http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/

Does lip balm have to be regulated and approved by the fda? On one site I looked at it said it did, but I know a lot of people sell it as well as soaps, lotions, etc

thanks sledding dennis for sharing your recipe and the link, those are cool looking jars, how do you pour your lip balm recipe?

twinkiebee, don’t know the fda guidelines yet, will follow wisconnie state law and any requirements. In my opinion, If the fda police want to spend their time buzzin' around and nailing all the beekeepers producing a great U S OF A product of any kind, they are wasting their time, when the USA is flooded with illegal, foreign imports of what is sadly and mistakenly called ‘honey’ and wax with properties in it that the fda will never control, or seem to get a handle on.

that said, i appreciate your comment. i am not burt’s bees…but I plan on putting a label on any lip balm i ‘produce’, with the ingredients listed, and how to contact me. have you tried making some lip balm yourself?

Riverbee, I completely agree! No, I haven't made any yet but I was considering it, mostly just for fun but then I thought about maybe selling a little, THEN someone came along and burst my bubble with the fda thing. I was just trying to find out if anyone knew the guidelines on it.

twinkiebee,
    don't let anyone burst your bubble or discourage you! find out what the regs are in mississip, go from there, you will do okay.

Just wanted to let you know, I FINALLY found all my info, and the FDA does not regulate cosmetics as long as you don't poison people. Lol. Oh and from a females perspective, while the tubes are easy to carry in your pocket and less messy they really suck as far as beeswax chapsticks. They tend to be too soft and just mush when you use them. Plus the jars look more stylish.

Hi all,
    the mix i have used is, 4 parts beeswax, 2 parts shea butter, 4 parts sweet almond oil. you can adjust the oil part to easily change the firmness.
    i like the tubes.
    i melt it in a 1 cup pyrex measuring cup, it works great for pouring.
    heated in a small pan of water (double boiler idea) if i let the handle hang over the edge of pan i can usually hold it without trouble. you may need to use a pot holder or mitt, just be careful
    have fun experimenting

Lol twinkiebee on the fda as long as you don’t poison people thing…..

bees in ballard, thanks for sharing your recipie and the tip on the pyrex cup. have two questions, do you use the pyrex cup to pour into the tubes? And do you have problems with the shea butter being grainy? i have read a lot of mixed stuff on shea butter, but everyone seems to use it.

riverbee1,
    i do use the cup to fill the tubes, a little slow but it works well for small batches.
    i have not had any issue with grainy shea butter so far, but good to know it may be a problem. i wonder if that could be a quality control thing if buying in bulk

thanks bees in ballard for the reply. i will try this as i want to make small batches at first, and will also try your recipe out. i liked the tip about hanging the handle off the edge of the heating pan, i would have just put the whole thing in and fumbled around with a mitt trying to pour it….

if you have not had a problem with shea butter, then i will take what i read and file it……
    i have been having fun melting years of wax through a solar wax melter i built and am looking forward to trying different methods and recipies for lip balms provided here from those who have been there, done that.

BTW, been to seattle a few times and liked it.

"...not had any issue with grainy shea butter so far, but good to know it may be a problem. i wonder if that could be a quality control thing if buying in bulk..."

Nope, not a quality control thing at all. You just got lucky.

The graininess is caused by some of the fats in the shea butter crystallizing out when the temperatures are right. It's exactly the same as chocolate that has a fat "bloom" or honey that has crystallized.

To fix this issue, see http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?216196

gee i hope i am lucky too!
    thank you for the link and tip on the shea butter!

I've made several batches and I use the microwave to melt my wax and butters. Just make sure you set your microwave on 50% power or less and remove the ingredients just before the wax has finished melting. It will continue to melt after being removed from the microwave.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeAnna View Post
    "...not had any issue with grainy shea butter so far, but good to know it may be a problem. i wonder if that could be a quality control thing if buying in bulk..."

Nope, not a quality control thing at all. You just got lucky.

The graininess is caused by some of the fats in the shea butter crystallizing out when the temperatures are right. It's exactly the same as chocolate that has a fat "bloom" or honey that has crystallized.

To fix this issue, see http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?216196
    i found this on majestic mountain sage's website about shea butter: "Please note: Recently we have become aware that other vendors are suggesting you heat shea butter to 170 degrees F for a period of 45 minutes to prevent graininess. This can be very damaging to the shea butter and will drastically reduce the shelf life as well. Worst of all, it will not work! Shea butter will become grainy, or fractionate, with the addition of heat. Body temperature alone will start this reaction. When shea butter is refined the prevention of graininess is achieved by quick cooling. Our recommendation is to heat the shea butter with your other ingredients just until everything is melted and can be mixed thoroughly. Then cool lip balms and body butters quickly. Quick cooling can be accomplished by pouring your butters into cool containers, pouring shallowly, and cool room temperatures or the use of the refrigerator. Do not use the freezer to firm the products you have just made. Once the shea butter has been made into a smooth fat again freezing will not harm the butter. Graining of shea butter has not been a problem in soaps and lotions." http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#SheaButter.

also, shea butter is kinda smelly stuff ?

Shea butter has a kinda chocalatey or nutty smell. Not taste, but smell. I don't find it to be very pungent at all. From what i've read it's smell can be covered by adding a scent or flavor or you can use the white odorless shea butter. You can also use unscented coconut oil or cocoa butter (which of course has a chocolate smell).
    Last edited by TwinkieBee; 08-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.

thx for this info, i received a lip balm kit from a friend as a gift 2 or 3 years ago, and the shea butter definitely does not smell like chocolate or nutty....sorta has a faint oldish funky smell to it

so i googled it and am thinking i need to find another use for it, seems it can go bad? anyway not going to use this, you couldn't cover up this smell, and wouldn't want to.

Lol! It does have an expiration though i'm not sure how long that is. I think I may try cocoa butter. It doesn't seem to get grainy (from what i've read). I also thought about making one batch with lanolin too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast