Default What bug is this?

On a sheet below my screened bottom board I frequently see a few of the bugs in the picture below. I also see them sometimes on the comb. Those things are about 1mm or less long. I first thought they are bee lice, but they have fairly long antennae while the pics of the bee lice I saw don't have any. Will they cause problems?

Default Re: What bug is this?

That is a spider mite. You can google and see all the pics. I have them in my hives too. Harmless. I'm told there are nearly 20 different little critters like this that can occupy a hive and most are harmless except of course Varroa, SHB, etc.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I agree it's a spider mite. They are plant-feeding insects. I guess the bees probably bring them back from foraging. Not harmful to bees in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by criscojohn View Post
    I agree it's a spider mite. They are plant-feeding insects. I guess the bees probably bring them back from foraging. Not harmful to bees in any way.
    Thanks guys,
    I am a new third year bee keeper with just 3 hives and having major battles with varroa and don't need another bug. So I am relieved that this thing is harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Heppy View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I am a new third year bee keeper with just 3 hives and having major battles with varroa and don't need another bug. So I am relieved that this thing is harmless.
    I wish you the best in battling those evil varroa. What's your strategy in dealing with them?
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org