Thread: Do Bees play??

Default Do Bees play??

Today I noticed several Bees flying around our air conditioning unit outside. We have central air and the fan etc are housed outside. The fan was running and the bees were getting tossed up in the air. I looked all around the unit. There were so many bees ( as well as a few half bee bodies) I thought maybe there was a hive. Nothing. I turned the unit off and checked down in the body. I saw several dead bees inside around the base but the activity stopped once it was off.
    I watched for quite some time looking for a possible hidden hive, nothing. I turned the unit back on and several minutes later returned to see bees getting tossed up in the air again swirling around and buzzing the unit over and over. There is a damp pipe they could have been getting moisture from but I didn't see any ladies there. We have a small pond and waterfall they visit for water as well as a pool. Any thoughts

Default Re: Do Bees play??

my first thought is could there have been a swarm hangin on your a/c unit when it came on and possibly the queen was destroyed or not destroyed and the fan was circulating her pheremone,or maybe it was to hot to forage so they were trying to see who could get thru the fan

Yes i think they play. I have colored tacks on front boards to keep track of genetics, and the bees like to play on them like they were a playground gym toy or something. Playing is all i can account it for, or maybe exercise routines.

This may be a possibility only. However, the AC unit outside is drawing surrounding air through its radiator coils to help relieve the heat from the pump. If the coils draw in some surrounding pollens and stick to the coils, maybe, just maybe the fan becomes a beacon of air born pollens. Depends on what is surrounding the AC unit. Are there foraged pollens near the unit ?
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

Are there foraged pollens near the unit ?
    No, we are in a rural community but it's a residential street. We removed two large junipers this spring so the area is bare. The neighbor on that side is a grass nerd and his yard is weed free. The AC unit is in the shade of an oak so there isn't even much in the way of weeds in our yard .

A good way to get even with the neighbor is to plant plenty of Dutch White Clover and Dandelions in your lawn. There are certain Oaks that produce pollen, however in the spring. The fan current may be indeed a high wind effect through one of their natural flight paths. Try to fly a plane in and updraft.......
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php