Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Deep Pressure treated supers! Is this guy for real?

Not to mention a whole lot safer to make as well.
    Regards, Barry

The first video made it sound like he was buying treated wood to make the hives. The fact that he treated them himself and then sawed out the hand holds deeper without wearing any sort of respirator or safety glasses leads me to believe that the chemicals in his hives is effecting his brain.

If you are going proceed to cut out the handholds wouldn't common sense dictate that you do it prior to permeating the wood with chemical treatment?
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Although I don't and wouldn't use pressure treated wood myself, being a newbee w/o a mentor my 10 yr old daughter & I turned to youtube videos for education. This guy and his videos has become one of our favorites. We even drove out of the way returning home to Indiana from Florida last month just to meet him and get our picture taken with him. He was very nice and made my daughter's day!

I have watched all of his videos and he does alot of things that just don't make sense to me.

This is a great example that not everything on the Internet is good, true or the right thing to do. Be careful what you learn from.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

>Depends on who's theory we're using.

Hence my choice of words...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I would say that in practice, this guy's method for preserving woodenware hasn't killed his bees (or anyone else as far as we know).

But, is it really worth it? All of that cutting, and dipping, and curing, and then assembling and painting...?

Maybe it's far better to use that time to increase both productivity and profits so that you can buy new woodenware as needed?

I can think of one good reason why it's better to rotate out woodenware when keeping invertebrates. The woodenware can become a reservoir for diseases and pests.

So, why even try to keep your woodenware around for 10 years?

I don't think that they even make most of those wood preservatives and paints locally anymore.

Finally, It might be better for the economy since most hive bodies are made locally from local lumber.

Why knock yourself out (literally) if it isn't a good idea?

>The woodenware can become a reservoir for diseases and pests.

Which diseases and pests? I don't know of any for which wood is a reservoir. Brood diseases might be in the comb, but the wood is pretty much sealed up inside the hive and propolis is the best prevention for most diseases, not a reservoir.

>So, why even try to keep your woodenware around for 10 years?

I have some that is almost 40 years old that has bees in it but will probably be retired soon. I put no effort into keeping it around for that long, I just used it. I see no reason not to use it for as long as it lasts.

>Finally, It might be better for the economy since most hive bodies are made locally from local lumber.

I'd say most is made half way across the country and shipped... I don't think I've ever bought a hive that was shipped less than 1,200 miles from where it was manufactured even if I got it from someplace only 500 miles away (which would be the closest). Unless I made it myself and the last lumber I bought for that said it was from Finland, if I remember right...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Cleats are a no go for commercials, who have to pallet the hives. Obviously it doesn't kill his bees or he would be out of business. As someone with direct knowledge of life in Georgia, I can tell you termites can destroy a brand new painted hive in one summer or less. When I moved there I was told there are three types of houses in GA, ones with termites, ones that just got rid of them and ones that are a bout to get them. little suckers ate the paper backing on my drywall between the plaster and the paint.

[QUOTE=bluegrass;695325]Is it even legal to use PT lumber for honey supers? [QUOTE]

Legal? There are no Laws or Regulations concerning what one builds their equipment out of.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12