Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Honey press sighting

I like the middle one electric would be very nice.....
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    I like the middle one electric would be very nice.....
    unless you include a voltage regulator on it its going to be to quick. My experience is no-load speed on a electric jack (like the one pictured) is as fast or faster than you can spin a freshly oiled new hand jack with a single finger as close to the center of the crank as you can spin it. (ie its FAST)

im curious about the Warré hive body you used. That was a "honey super" in terms of what langstrom people refer to a honey super as? That super is found at the top of the hive like you would in a langstrom hive?

do you have the option of pulling "frames" from the outside edges of multipul supers to rob honey?

Quote Originally Posted by A. S. Templeton View Post
    Oh... I guess that's sarcasm. If it be unkind, then is it any wonder that your cracks about "brood juice", thoughtless sniping at my supposed beekeeping habits, and uninformed criticism of my press might have engendered a less-than-bland response? Reap what you sow.
    You seem to be really/extremely thin skinned. Go back and read the compliments in my earliest posts on this Thread and then the questions in the later posts and point out to me the "sniping" and "uninformed critisism", cause I don't see it.

Ya know, sometimes a question is just a question. If I had wanted to be critical I would not have made supportive comments in response to the person who pointed out your bare feet.

Personally, from my point of view, only having what you have posted here to go on, what you are doing is interesting and seems to fit your style of life and beekeeping. I think you should be secure enuf in your own self to be able to stand someone who asks questions. I think you have a neat set up.

I don't do things the way you do, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate that there are other ways to get to the same ends, a jar of honey.

I hope you enjoy your bees and make all the honey you wish to.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 08-12-2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    langstrom people refer to a honey super as? That super is found at the top of the hive like you would in a langstrom hive?
    Uh, schism. It's Langstroth, not langstrom. W/ a capital "L", because it is a persons name. Just thought you'd like to know.

"brood juice" the juice produced by the pressing of comb containg brood. That's what I was refering to. From what I saw, you have two choices when pressing combs, if you come across some brood. Press it or cut it out and discard it. So, I wondered what you did, that's all.

The way I extract, I have more options than you, perhaps. If I come across a honey frame which has brood in it, I can set that comb aside and put it in a hive to let the brood emerge, and extract it later. Or I can uncap around the brood and extract the honey. I don't intentionally uncap the brood along w/ the honey.

So, I was just curious. No critisism intended. Y'all have a nice day.

You gonna put these up for sale? If not how about some plans?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    <snip> If I had wanted to be critical I would not have made supportive comments in response to the person who pointed out your bear feet.

<snip>
    Bear feet??? This dude has BEAR FEET!!!! Now how handy would that will be at snagging swarms and getting bees out of bee trees!!!!!

That's some nice craftsmanship, A.S.T.!!! (even if you do have bear feet...there's gotta be a story somewhere about an ancestor that fought a bear for days on top of some mountain...)

Ed

Looked like a very happy family. Great job and nice clean looking devise.

I dont have a cappings spinner so i press all my cappings in a small fruit press it works ok but his set up would be a lot better.

Great device Templeton. Would love to get a copy of the plans though, looks like a perfect project.
    Cheers

The memories those children are building are worth your total price of admission! No more beautiful sound. Is that all hardwood? That would be no small bill of materials! I really like it a lot. Thankyou.

Very nice press. How long does it take that comb? the video skips time so I am just wondering just what the turn around time is with the press.

The brood juice comments amuse me. You have commercial outfits that have automated machinery that allow frames to be taken out of the supers and uncapped without a human touching them. I'm sure they get some brood juice with that system. The commercial beeks I worked with in the seventies ran brood thru regularly as a matter of convienience. I was laughed at the first time I tried to sort it out. I really doubt that has changed. Some things you just don't talk about and frankly don't matter anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by slickbrightspear View Post
    I dont have a cappings spinner so i press all my cappings in a small fruit press it works ok but his set up would be a lot better.
    Lovely job, great to see the kids/family involved. Nice video too.

Seems cruel to the bees to destroy all of a years work - BUT - I get about a 20 l ( 6 or 7 gallon) bucket full of cappings and I'm looking for a way to melt the wax into a block. I'm past the solar melter stage at this point. Any affordable, not to messy ideas?
    thanks

Go to the Sally ANN and buy a big slow cooker of roaster and fill it up with your drained cappings. set it just high enough to melt wax by trial and error and skimm off the wax and run it thru a bigger solar wax melter to finish cleaning it. Sell the honey for baking or add barley malt and water to OG 1.120, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and pitch some d-47 or 71b-1122 and have a party in about six months to a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12