Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Honey press sighting

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnu0UGxnJWA, "Pressing Honey with the Templeton Press"

Default Re: Honey press sighting

That's really cool.

Really nice looking press. Build it yourself?

How old is the comb? It looks pretty dark. What if there had been some brood in that comb?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Really nice looking press. Build it yourself?

What if there had been some brood in that comb?
    Brood !! who cares dude wasn't wearing any shoes while extracting, yummy....
    Honeydew

He wasn't pressing w/ his feet, dude. His feet and the room he was pressing in look cleaner than lots of honey houses I have been in. Tho I did notice that too.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Very nice and clean setup.

Really nice looking press. Build it yourself? How old is the comb? It looks pretty dark. What if there had been some brood in that comb?
    Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    Brood !! who cares dude wasn't wearing any shoes while extracting, yummy....
    Well, it's not like I'm squishing grapes with my feet here. And unlike some beeks I have met, I wear freshly-laundered clothes and bathe every day.

This is honey from a Warré hive, so yeah, some comb probably held brood, beebread etc. Don't quite see the point of the What If? For chewing whole comb, cut away and reserve the clear stuff; press the rest yeah.

That's very nice. I am guessing that you made the press? What did you use for the screw?
    Thanks for making and posting the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Robee View Post
    That's very nice. I am guessing that you made the press? What did you use for the screw?
    Thanks for making and posting the video.
    Unlike the older Stade presses, here the screw is fully enclosed--cleaner and less hazardous.

Teach those kids to work for those sweets!

Nice device.

Quote Originally Posted by A. S. Templeton View Post
    Don't quite see the point of the What If?
    So you have no problem squishing and eating brood juice, I guess. I just wondered if you would cut it out or press it.

Why does the screw have to be so long? I think that this apperatice is a nice looking piece of work, the way it is constructed. But, wouldn't a cider press work just as well and be less expensive?

Thanks for showing us how you do what you do.

I eat brood frequently, good protein and taste like honey covered almonds. (mite free drone brood is the best)

I love the press; nice craftsmanship.

Why did you not build the press to fit the hive body so you would not have to cut the comb out?
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

sqkcrk,

I'm not sure what you mean by brood juice. I harvest honey from my Warre hives and I've never seen any "brood juice"! While there was once brood in the combs, it's all honey at the point of harvest -- though the combs are darker. All of the brood should be in the bottom two boxes at the point of harvesting.

I have experimented with a fruit/wine/cider type press and I would definitely prefer to go with the modified stade press in the video. On most of the fruit presses it takes a considerably long time to crank it, press the honey out, and unwind it. They also often destroy the screened bag during pressing. I've switched to double bucket strainers, as I can do hundreds of pounds at a time across a few strainers, but I'd really like to get a press like A.S. Templeton posted.

Best,
    Matt

So you have no problem squishing and eating brood juice, I guess. I just wondered if you would cut it out or press it... Why does the screw have to be so long? I think that this apperatice is a nice looking piece of work, the way it is constructed. But, wouldn't a cider press work just as well and be less expensive?
    "Brood juice" --?!!?-- I don't press brood, living or dead, any more than a Langstrothist would cap and spin brood frames. If any brood were present, I'd cut it out before pressing, duh.

The screw doesn't extend out of hyperspace. It needs about 12" working travel, plus retreating it further for cleaning is handy. Besides I don't have a machine & welding shop, and the length is what it is; for production, sure, I could lop a foot off and shorten the press a bit.

Honey is too viscous for cider press, which also is too slow to advance and retreat for rapid wax ejection and sack reloading. Also the cider press piston would not allow hot-rendering of wax, which my press is designed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacklewack View Post
    I have experimented with a fruit/wine/cider type press and I would definitely prefer to go with the modified stade press in the video. On most of the fruit presses it takes a considerably long time to crank it, press the honey out, and unwind it. They also often destroy the screened bag during pressing. I've switched to double bucket strainers, as I can do hundreds of pounds at a time across a few strainers, but I'd really like to get a press like A.S. Templeton posted.
    I'll just add that the Stade is especially useful for extraction of Calluna (autumn heather) honey (Heidehonig), which is quite viscous and hard to spin-extract.

Finally I'll just note that the Stade is relatively rapid in honey processing--less exposure to air/dust, less handling, humidity--compared to crush & drain/strain. Once the comb is cut out, a Stade can press 99+% honey from an 8-comb Warre (25-30lb) in about 7-8 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by A. S. Templeton View Post
    "Brood juice" --?!!?-- I don't press brood, living or dead, any more than a Langstrothist would cap and spin brood frames. If any brood were present, I'd cut it out before pressing, duh.
    Thanks, I appreciate your kind and thoughtful response.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind and thoughtful response.
    Oh... I guess that's sarcasm. If it be unkind, then is it any wonder that your cracks about "brood juice", thoughtless sniping at my supposed beekeeping habits, and uninformed criticism of my press might have engendered a less-than-bland response? Reap what you sow.

Nice Video!

Where would someone get that type of a screw mechanism ??
    Honeydew

Looks like your basic trailer jack. Menards/Home Depot?

Regards, Barry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast