Default 1 Pound Muth Jars -- Corks?? Lids???

I purchased the 1 pound Muth jars complete with cork -- Makes a beautiful presentation.

I took it into my office where alot of women and they all loved the bottle, but several women independent of each other all asked the same questions, how do you get the corks out and once the cork is out, how can they cover the open container.

First of all, how do you get the corks out the top of the bottle, when the the top of the cork is only about 1/4 inch above the rim of the Muth jar -- You really can't your fingers as it hurts trying to pull that cork out. I haven't yet tried one, but I am guessing that one would use a cork screw, which leads to the second question.

Once the cork is removed by the corkscrew, what type of lid can be used to cover the open container of honey. You really can't reuse the cork as it would have been damaged by the corkscrew.

I would like to sell these containers, but I am wondering if others are seeing the same issues and if so, what answers could be given to the purchaser when they ask these questions. Thanks.

Default Re: 1 Pound Muth Jars -- Corks?? Lids???

I paid a lot for some fancy muth jars my first year. AAAAAAAAAH! The corks get sticky with honey and everyone hated them. The cork gets broken off or stuck. I was going to replace them with synthetic corks, but couldn't find the right size. I ended up giving them to my sister inlaw for her bath salts..... yup, I loved the looks of them, but just another lesson learned.

Channel lock pliers work well to open them. Then you don't put the cork in as far so you can get a grip on them. Just hope no one knocks the jar over. And as Jusme mentioned, they do get sticky. You need to have a place for the cork to go (I use a small plate) before you take it out.

At one time I thought about dipping the corks in wax, but never got around to it. Guess you could try it. Or I wonder if you could spray the cork with a cooking spray like PAM ?
    Last edited by jusme; 08-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Who did you buy them from?, the ones I have the cork is 3/4 inch out of the bottle. Just lightly place in opening then turn upside down into hot bees wax a couple of times and done....
    Honeydew

honeydew,

I bought them from Gamber containers since I live so close to them. The example they had on their display desk showed a bottle of honey withthe cork with 3/4 inch in the bottle with about 1/4 inch above the top. Is your cork about 1 inch high?

I will try the beeswax approach as that certainly would allow the cork to be reused especially if it sits 3/4 inch above the top. Thanks.