Default Do honeybees like figs?

I've had a good fig crop for the first time since I got bees. As usual, many overripe figs which I missed have fallen to the ground, with some of them fermenting. I expected this sugar source to be irresistible to the bees, which are only 20 feet away, but I only saw one or two bees around the fig tree. Does this mean that they're working better nectar sources somewhere else, or do honeybees not like figs?

Default Re: Do honeybees like figs?

Figs are pollinated by a special wasp. I imagine someone else knows more about this than I. Maybe you would like to google Fig Wasp.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I believe you're right about fig pollination, but I imagined the sugars contained in the overripe fruit would attract the bees' attention. I thought it might be a good sign that there was a flow of some kind on if they were bypassing the figs in their own backyard.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-31-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: UN quote

Yellow Jacket Wasps will feed on them when they are over ripe. I don't know if honeybees will. I believe there are better signs of nectar flows than lack of honeybees on over-ripe figs.

On another note. There shouldn't be any over-ripe figs available anyway. You should be picking them. Don't let them go to waste. My Dad had a fig bush in our front yd in Maryland when I was growing up. That and grapes. I don't recall pickling them, but one can preserve them. Make fig jam at least.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Believe me, I gather all that I can, but the two trees are 15' tall, so I miss some, especially when I have to travel on business. They make great preserves.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-31-2011 at 02:29 PM.