Default Do honeybees like figs?

I've had a good fig crop for the first time since I got bees. As usual, many overripe figs which I missed have fallen to the ground, with some of them fermenting. I expected this sugar source to be irresistible to the bees, which are only 20 feet away, but I only saw one or two bees around the fig tree. Does this mean that they're working better nectar sources somewhere else, or do honeybees not like figs?

Default Re: Do honeybees like figs?

Figs are pollinated by a special wasp. I imagine someone else knows more about this than I. Maybe you would like to google Fig Wasp.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

I believe you're right about fig pollination, but I imagined the sugars contained in the overripe fruit would attract the bees' attention. I thought it might be a good sign that there was a flow of some kind on if they were bypassing the figs in their own backyard.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-31-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: UN quote

Yellow Jacket Wasps will feed on them when they are over ripe. I don't know if honeybees will. I believe there are better signs of nectar flows than lack of honeybees on over-ripe figs.

On another note. There shouldn't be any over-ripe figs available anyway. You should be picking them. Don't let them go to waste. My Dad had a fig bush in our front yd in Maryland when I was growing up. That and grapes. I don't recall pickling them, but one can preserve them. Make fig jam at least.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Believe me, I gather all that I can, but the two trees are 15' tall, so I miss some, especially when I have to travel on business. They make great preserves.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 07-31-2011 at 02:29 PM.