Default Plywood type for BB & mt

I usually use 1x for my bottoms and migratory covers but amthinking about switching to plywood. What type and thickness do you usually get? The other day I got some bc sanded one side rough other (gotta have one side look good) that was labeled as both interior/exterior plywood it was 3/4" any suggestions? Thanks

Default Re: Plywood type for BB & mt

yeah me too?

3/4" works just fine. Personally, i use whatever thickness I can "glom onto" for free and it all looks fine with a couple of coats of bargain paint that was mis-mixed at the big box store. Best wishes!
    Roger

I've used MDF for bottom boards, slatted racks, inner covers and top covers. It's a little heavey for boxes but works equaly well with a couple of coats of paint.
    "How do you expect to get by in life if you're not precision!"

I like bottoms to be light. I use 1/4" luan. I like tops to be heavy so they don't warp and they don't blow off so easy, so I like 3/4" CDX, but since a full sheet of 3/4" is to the point of hurting my back to manage it, most of mine are 1/2" CDX.

http://bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#make
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by K.E.N. View Post
    I've used MDF for bottom boards, slatted racks, inner covers and top covers. It's a little heavey for boxes but works equaly well with a couple of coats of paint.
    That's particle board !!!, probably wouldn't get a week out of it here in Oregon no matter how much you paint it..............
    Honeydew

I have been in woodworking buisness 20+ years so most of the time I built my hives out of poplar lumber.Its cheaper than pine and works well but you do have to keep it painted.My brother is a home builder and he gave me some particle board called advantech. I needed an emergency hive so I used the stuff.That has been 4 yrs ago and the hive still looks good and thats with no paint.The wood is a little expensive ,around $25 for a 4x8 sheet.It is used for flooring and is 3/4 thick so it is heavy but it does last.It is available at almost any lumberyard and has a 50 yr warranty.Well thats what it says on it anyways!Hope this helps!

Just my $0.02.
    7/16 OSB or thicker if you prefer.
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

OSB swells and begins to flake with extended exposure to moisture and plywood begins to separate. My choice would be 3/4 PT plywood for bottoms and tops but it's expensive. Like they say; 6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I like bottoms to be light. I use 1/4" luan. I like tops to be heavy so they don't warp and they don't blow off so easy, so I like 3/4" CDX, but since a full sheet of 3/4" is to the point of hurting my back to manage it, most of mine are 1/2" CDX.

http://bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm#make
    MB Do you have a problem with your tops etc. flaking apart? From what I remember you said you don't paint your stuff any more.

The CDX seemed to be holding up fine, but I've started dipping them in beeswax and gum rosin:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesdipping.htm

Hard to say how they would have held up in the long term without it... but the 3/4" were more stable as far as warping than the 1/2".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Michael,
    Quick question. I have a couple extra five gallon buckets of wax cappings. I let them drain over night in my uncapping tank. Will these be ok to use for the recipe? How much of each did you need for the equipment in the pictures? Thanks for all your help. I am so tired of painting.