Default Using a screen for a fence

I live in the city with neighbors around me within 50-100 feet. My yard is pretty shady making it difficult to find a good sunny spot. I was thinking of creating a 6 foot screened fence (with the same material use to screen porches) around the front and sides of my beehive, about 6 feet away from the hives, to force the bees up and not block the sun. My only concern, could the screen confuse the bees being that its see-through barrier.

Has anyone used a screen fence, instead of a wooden fence to force bees up.

Default Re: Using a screen for a fence

The first hive i had in town was only 30-40 feet from one of the busiest pedestrian walks in our town.
    Having some of the same concerns you do, I placed the hive about 18-24" form the three story east wall of the house.
    The hive got sun from sunrise to mid day, so the bees wee out early and there were no sidease problems with being shaded part of the day.

The best thing in relation to preventing irritating neighbors and passers by was this:

When the bees oriented, instead fo zig zagging to the top of the hive and then circling wider and wider as they usually do, the bees zig zagged to the top of the house beofre starting to circle.

Leaving foragers would come out of the netrance nad make a climbing u-turn, and bee far overhead before crossing the path of neighbors or pedestrians.

If I were you, instead of spending money on a screen, I'd try this first.

As far as a barrier wall, I'd make one that is opaque and not see through, if I made one at all.
    the screen is likely to confuse your bees, just as it does when used as a robbing screen.

So Beregondo, you actually pointed the entrance at the house that was 2ft away?

I currently have a couple 4 X8 sheets of pressure-treated lattice that you can purchase at any big-box DIY store .... Home Depot, etc. My hives are about 5 feet from my property line with the neighbor. The lattice is up about 6-8 feet and works great!!!! Especially when the neighbor is on his Ferris while mowing the lawn.

Lib, that's exactly what I did.

It didn't impair the colony in any discernible wleft thay, and the bees came out and went up...foragers going west (the direction the hive faced, with the east wall of the house 2 ft in front of it) climbed and went over the house.
    Foragers going the other way left the entrance in a climbing u-turn that had them climbing at a steep (> 45 degree) angle.

Those going to the right or left also climbed higher than usual.
    there was a three foot high fence about four feet to one side, and clear space to the other.
    Those heading in the unfenced direction climbed nearly as steeply as those having to go over the fence.

There was no nuisance of having bees on the windowscreen on hte bottom floor, nor having them intrude through an open, unscreened window on the second floor directly above the hive.

One or two bees over the entire season wandered into the bedroom, but quickly found their way back out. (Usually if one bedroom window was open, all were.)

It was cheaper and more effective than a bee hive closet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post
    Lib, that's exactly what I did.

I gotta say that's pretty neato. Gotta add this one to the vault.

Thanks.

Pointing them towards the house sounds like a great idea they will only get late afternoon, but some sun is better.