Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Queen loss

Default High Queen loss

Has anyone else been noticing a higher than normal queen failure? Booming hives to duds in 5-6 wks. No sign of swarm cells or supercedure cells.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Default Re: High Queen loss

Im seeing allot of supercedure and swarming this summer.
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Yes, seeing lots of new queens fail. Especially queens from Texas.
    -Rob Bliss
    Bliss Honey and bee supplies

Our matings from east Texas this year were outstanding.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Shannon(Beeslave)
    Coming from a veteran of the queen failure club.....absolutely, the last 2 weeks have been rough. Have pullled honey off of 15 yards so far and already this early in the summer see about a 20% loss. The usual number of drone layers and swarm outs but the unusually bad thing I'm seeing just plane queens dying and no ss. Something else that gets my attention is the lack of brood in the queenrights. Sealed brood and some eggs. very little larvae. I've seen this when bees exposed to fungicides but what's this about. No fungicide exposure that I'm aware of.Corn is tasseling. Bees on a fairly decent flow.
    To follow up un Bob Bliss's comment, got 200 queens from a friend in east Texas for replacements when bees got north. He makes a good queen. Anyway he expressed the same sentiment as Jim Lyon that mating was exceptional. Anyway, had good exceptance but now a vast majority of those queens are dead.
    Any NEW thoughts on the issue?

Bill: Last year I would have agreed whole-heartedly but then I knew there were issues with mating conditions and in some cases low drone numbers because of lighter bees out of California, totally different this year with our bees. The year isnt over by a longshot we will see how the summer progresses particularly with the heat. One observation: I am not sure there is always a strong supercedure response in hives in which the queen just tapers off and eventually turns drone layer.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Sorry, we have noted to opposite, very few queens lost this year so far. Much better than in the previous years. From notes on the roof, I suspect a few queens have been orderly superceded, but no alot. Most of our queens are from last year, not grafted. In the past we had seen a pattern of package queens looking great, and then failing and not being replaced successfully(they failed, and did not die).

People around us have had swarm issues, but we have seen no signs of swarming in our hives.

Crazy Roland

Everything here was going great. Yesterday I found 25% queenless. Swarming was the lowest I've seen with my bees......ever. what is really fishy is my yards that are surrounded by CRP and pasture are averaging around 3 poor hives per yard of 32. The
    The yards that are surrounded by corn w/ plenty of forage nearby im finding upto 35% queen loss.

I know that i am Canadian, but get some of my queens from the states
    Some of the state side queens are really good. Others are slow to build and some have superceded
    The newzeland packages have superceded alot of the queens.

I am also noticing with or w/o queen excluders, some of the hives are back filling the brood nest. A good 50%. Not impressed with this. Alot of work opening them backup. How they will do? Will know in a week or so when i do the first pull.

I think i am seeing supercedures on the hives due to weather conditions here in MB. We had a really good dandilion flow but were not able to utilize all of it due to weather, cool and wet. So none of the hives which were 90% packages were able to plug up...a good thing. As well, since we are in year 5 of overland flooding and high ground moisture, the plants themselves are not doing so well. Just a observation but 160 acre alfalfa seed fields are reduced to 30-60 acres with the rest cut for hay. Hay fields which were classed as alfalfa or alfalfa/grass have been down graded to alfalfa/grass or just grass fields
    So, i think the supercedure and back filling has to do with theh lack of a strong flow as much as anything else.
    I have also noted a large amount of chalk brood which has been a challenge for some hives. Some hives have cleared up, others are still fighting. In talking with the provincial ag bee guy, newzelands, while changing the breed of bee have taken little steps when it comes to chalk brood resistance. As well, I think our flooded wet cool lands and weather played a huge part in this. Chalk brood issues are throughout MB right now since we are all in the same situation.

Deleted
    Last edited by sevenmmm; 07-27-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Wrong forum.

the real art is finding the bad hives before it is to late. Its very easy to assume that since the hive was good at one point that it still is. having lots of extra queens in the bank really helped us. Lots of supersedure this early summer because of the rainy weather here.

also isnt this a commercial forum? i would hope if all you have is a few hives they would be queen right.

Just a guess here but I think in the long run this "acceptance" and "rejection" issue is going to resolve around a pollen issue correlated to other health issue the bees are currently going through. Our high loss rate areas the last couple of years have all been in yards where the pollen count or source was on the poor end of the scale. ?

We are seeing the same thing. Good acceptance, queens start out really well, then start to fail with less and less brood. Hives that I pinched the queens which started doing this and let them raise their own have passed others that I let the queens run. Something is definitely going on with the queens from last year to this one. I was going to do a large requeening with CF Koehen and asked if they had figured out the problems they had last year (last year I had almost 100% failure with their queens. They replaced half of them for free and admitted there were problems with mating and fungicides near the mating nucs). I went with another N. Cali breeder this year. Queens were better but still hitting about 35% failure after a month or so of doing well. Anyway, calling Koehen they were playing dumb by saying they never had problems this year or last. They just lost a thousand queen order. If you can't be honest about your operation then I want nothing to do with them. SO right now we are re-assessing our hives and will re-queen this next week anything that is lacking in the least. If anyone knows of someone producing good queens this year that are still available let me know.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

2 other commercial Beekeepers around me are seeing the same problems as me. We don't run the same queen stock either. My new queens(350) this year are only at about a 6% failure! These poor hives came out of the almonds and most have 1yr old queens.

Quote Originally Posted by benstung View Post

also isnt this a commercial forum? .

Oopps. I clicked on what's new and didn't realize this. Sorry.

Rick,
    It should be ok.
    If the commercial bee keepers are having the same proplems as the rest of U.S.A. there might be a common denominator!
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I should add, i went through a pile of pollen patties this spring and early into the summer before the flow. I still have some on the weaker ones.
    I think our weather is a major player in this queen loss phenominom (sp). It has been so eratic all over the place. I think if we could find areas where the queens have come from where the weather for the past several year has not been so wild, there might be a correlation found.
    Alpha, what are CF kohens?

HS

They are a queen supplier out of Cali. Up until last year they produced very good queens. They had some serious problems last year and from what I have heard into this year with their queen quality so I am staying away from them until I get a good feel that they have resolved those issues.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

is any one noticing a correlation between queen loss and hives that went to almonds?

I didnt go but most guys that went this year that i talked to said the almonds bees are having a hard time getting it in gear.

Well it is that time of year when these problems show up. It is hard to evaluate queens when hot and supers are on. I know that memory can be selective, like when you recall the best producing colonies but forget the duds. Is it really any worse than previously? Do you actually keep records? I sure don't.

Stay out of almond pollination next year and see if things improve. Riiiight.

No doubt there were poor mating conditions in California this year.

It is disappointing to pick em up, I'm getting my share too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast