Thread: tea tree oil

Default tea tree oil

Hi Yall,
    First year beekeeper in Massachusetts. My set up is this : five pound bag of sugar, two liters and one cup water, 2 tsp HBH and one tsp tea tree oil as a feed. I also created a contraption that is a series of 7 boardman feeders in theory on a single plank elevated above the ground on a platform. I have 3 of these total for a grand total of 21 mason jars filled with this soln. I also have two hives packaged in May (early). Anyways the girls are going crazy on this stuff as I have placed them at various locations throughout the apiary but none to close to either hive. My question is what are your experiences with tea tree oil as a mite deterent as I am trying to go treatment free. I also have them packaged on honey super cell (small cell) and they took to it just fine. Thanks for your responses

Default Re: tea tree oil

Isn't essential oils treatments?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

bump up

You might get a better response if you post on the treatment free section of the forum !

PCM

Tea tree oil is used as a miticide in grease patties and in feed. There is little research out there, but it is believed that the mites must have direct contact with the oil to be killed. This could occur when the larve are fed before they are capped. If a female mite were to be in the cell with the larve, the oil may disrupt the mite eggs from developing. Tea tree oil will not control mites, but may aid in the process when combined with other treatments.

BTW, Mites are rarely a problem the first year a hive is setup. It the winter of the second year that usually does them in.

On the flip side, research does show Tea tree oil is a powerful antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal,and antiviral. This can be good as a treatment for nosema, or foulbrood. However, as part of a long term feeding program, it will alter the natural gut fauna of the bees. www.dailybulletin.yale.edu/article.aspx?id=8620 This could make your bees more suscsptible to disease in the future as the gut biology does not have the ability to fend off harmful bacteria.

Open feeding, eh? Do you see any bees zipping out of the feeders and heading off in a different direction than your two hives? Those would not be your bees. Quoating from another post I saw, "That's nice of you to feed everyone's bees."

If you want to go treatment free, stop the oil and HBH.

Walliebee,
    yes I have but Im like that anything to help the girls!!! I only hope the other beekeepers in the area return the favor

The other beekeepers may be trying to get honey not sugar water,with you open feeding, there bees may be feeding on your syrup, you should put the feeders inside so that doesn't happen