Default Do YOU know of any COLLEGE-aged beekeepers?

College Beekeeper is looking for COLLEGE-aged beekeepers who are heading off to school this fall.

Whether entering as a freshman, or returning as a super-senior, if you're a young person in school, who knows some beekeeping, or know of someone who is, we'd like to hear from you.

Too many young beekeepers have to put their beekeeping on the side while off at school, and we're here to help you change that. Check out our website, and see how you can incorporate beekeeping into your college experience, while helping to teach fellow peers at the same time.

Our goal is to help students start beekeeping initiatives at their places of education...
    ...and best of all, if you do it properly, it can be done for free!

And our website:
    https://sites.google.com/site/collegebeekeeper/

Default Re: Do YOU know of any COLLEGE-aged beekeepers?

LOL I thought this was a start of an Internet dating scam.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Sweet! I'll have to check this out! I know there is another professor on campus who is hiding a hive somewhere on campus-- a hive of Russians, in fact.

I count being that I'm in grad school as a T.A., am I right! XD

Started a garden in my undergrad institute-- and it was a heart break. Non one's taking care of it anymore. Out of funds because of the economy, and a private institution with a 25,000 dollar intuition doesn't have a plethora of gardeners. :< Sustainability with a bee hive may be more possible, as it takes less maintenance overall, and people (somewhat) know what to do with honey. They have NO IDEA what to do with fresh fruit and veggies, especially old heirlooms like seeded grapes.
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzandra View Post
    . . . a private institution with a 25,000 dollar intuition doesn't have a plethora of gardeners. :< Sustainability with a bee hive may be more possible, as it takes less maintenance overall, . . .
    That school probably has a pretty hefty tuition charge to go along with that 25K intuition, too. I have a couple of college student beeks here, but they have to develop their own intuition.

They will most likely check out the website.

The last time I saw 4-H mentioned was in a early John Wayne movie, which gives you some idea what age this beekeeper is. Thank goodness people eventially grow old.
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

does dual enrolment count?
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I attend a community college. We actually have two hives on campus and a beekeeping class!! I talked to students at a course fair about it and here I am now a beekeeper! Starting a group or club has been in my thoughts. Great site idea

Just to clarify to everyone, ANY sort of student can start up a student beekeeping initiative, whether grad student, community college, dual enrollment, trade school, whatever. Each program runs differently, and whatever works for the location is what'll work best.

Also, if YOU are a beekeeper, and you live NEARBY a place of education (college/university/highschool/etc), and you've got the itch to teach, then perhaps a student beekeeping initiative would be cool for you to get involved with. As a beekeeper, there's no reason why you can't check it out and see if students would be interested. You'd be surprised how much interest is out there!
    (check the link on the website specifically geared towards beekeepers wanting to start their own programs)

And the website, again:

The information on the site is GREAT! I'm definitely going to try getting started with a club this spring. As faculty, I can sponsor. Though I will doubtlessly get questioned quite a bit as an English teacher starting a beekeeping club. XD

And, in a different tangent:
    Quote Originally Posted by BeehindtheHive View Post
    That school probably has a pretty hefty tuition charge to go along with that 25K intuition, too. I have a couple of college student beeks here, but they have to develop their own intuition.
    I can't begin to express how stupid I just made my Alma mater look. Not only because they lack gardeners, but because they make you pay in intuition!
    ]
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Does anyone know how I can push this thread closer to the new posts?
    Simply so that new people can see it at the start of the forum, because we're still looking for more college-aged beekeepers, and I get the feeling most people only look at the first page or so of the Forum.
    I suppose the other option is to re-post, but then they don't get the joy of all the responses!

Just to give an update, we're still looking for more young beekeepers to help start beekeeping initiatives at their schools. Too many young beeks head off to college and think they have to put their hobby aside, but you don't have to!

We're also looking for enthusiastic and flexible (older) beekeepers who might be interested in starting programs at nearby schools. It's a great way to share your knowledge, and who knows, you might even have a good time!

If you're interested in knowing what a student beekeeping initiative is, check out the website (below) and if you're interested, get in touch.
    Cheers,
    College Beekeeper

I was a college student once upon a time.

I was the only freshman at orientation that could shave and had a wife 5 months pregnant.

Does that count?

It's Mid-September, and we've had a good number of young beekeepers contact us about starting beekeeping programs at their places of education.
    However, we're still available to lend some help to a few more student groups.
    SO, if YOU know of any YOUNG beekeepers, perhaps going into COLLEGE (freshman through seniors), please let them know about our website, and how they can turn beekeeping into a student initiative at their school!
    (more information in our first post, and on our website)
    Cheers,
    College Beekeeper

Texas has 4H still in schools. But we also have Texas A&M
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.