Arrow Experiences with Brushy Mountain or similar Wintering Inner Cover

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ctinfo/W254IC/

I was thinking of trying these out this winter, but I'd like to hear about some experiences with them. According to Brushy Mt.:

It is a two sided inner cover. During the warmer months, the shallow side faces down and it functions as a typical inner cover. There is a hol[e] [sic] in the center which can be used for feeding with a mason jar surrounded by an empty hive body. During the winter, the deep side is used as a mold to pour sugar candy. This faces down and hive moisture, which usually is a problem in the winter, softens the candy so the bees can feed. This puts the feed at the top of the hive, right were the bees will need it when they exhaust their stored honey reserves.

to make the candy: Bring 7 lbs. of sugar, 1 lb. of water (2 cups), and 1 1/2 lbs. (about 1 1/8 cups) HFCS (or 2:1 sugar water) to a slow boil while stirring until candy consistency is reached about 220 to 230 degrees F. Take the candy off the heat and stir in a 1 lb. of pollen substitute with a whisk. Pour mixture into a mold and allow to cool. A mason jar can be used to seal and cover the hole in the center and removed once the candy sets.
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Default Re: Experiences with Brushy Mountain or similar Wintering Inner Cover

Answering my own question...
    I think I may spring the extra 5.00 a hive for this inner cover:
    http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/stor...ver-p-232.html

I can't tell, however, if it is eight frame or ten frame? If it is ten frame, I might kindly use their plans to build my own.
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

I have a few of the one from Brushy Mountain but this will be my first winter using them. The other sorta looks like overkill to me but I could be totally wrong.

John

I havn't tried brushy's just yet. I might next year though. I use candy to overwinter anyway, it would be nice to combine a "feeding rim" for the candy and an inner cover into one piece of equipment (if it works, of course).

I have one of Honey Run's all season inner covers. Generally, I like it. I havn't overwintered with it just yet, but the spring and summer appeared to be going great with it. It provides great ventilation, and the hive it was on seemed to be booming (not a great study, just an observation. It could have been the cover, but is more than likely just the bees). We'll see how the overwintering goes.

I must say though, when I got the inner cover, it looked like a 4 year old built it. The oval shaped hole in the center (that is standard on all inner covers) wasn't exactly . . . well, oval. It looked like a little child tried to draw a circle. It was also put together very poorly (either quickly, or in an unskilled manner). Not that it all is that big of a deal, after all insects live in it, but if I pay $16+sh for $4 worth of wood, and it's put together poorly, I'd rather just build them myself. Which is what I suggest you do.

Kazzandra,

I made a few of those inner covers and I love them!! Although I havnt gone through a winter with them, they ventilate the hive very nicely during hot spells, ive seen bees fanning on the top bars pushing the heat out of the hive, and its amazing how much heat gets pushed out of the screened holes!! I also look through the screened holes to watch whats going on in the hive, usually watching the guard bees protecting the entrance and watching the cleaner bees scrubbing the top bars. Its also a good place to set a sandwhich baggie of sugar syrup to feed the bees! I made some for the 10 frame hives and just made two today for my nucs. I think they would be a useful place to put pollen patties as well. I think I will be topping all my hives with these since I like working with wood and they cost about $4 to make! It will be my winter project when the days are short and I am bored as heck!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

I want to build one of these I think...