Thread: RSS Feeds

Default RSS Feeds

This topic has come up in recent emails and posts. What do you as BeeSource members think about this as a potential new feature? Do you want the BeeSource site to export RSS Feeds so that you can subscribe to forums in your feed readers, or do you want to see external feeds displayed within BeeSource? Or both?

- Barry

rss feeds would be good ! It would be cool to have rss feed of each category. I would use it with my rss reader so thumbs up for rss...
    Sig

Barry Please excuse my ignorance can you please explain what an RSS feed is thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Barry Please excuse my ignorance can you please explain what an RSS feed is thanks
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS
    Sig

Can we get this in layman's terms of what it would mean in this context. If we had a subscription to an RSS feed from Beesource, what would we see exactly? Just the new posts? All of the threads that had new posts? I'm not sure I understand how that would differ from just coming to the site and choosing "new posts".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Can we get this in layman's terms of what it would mean in this context. If we had a subscription to an RSS feed from Beesource, what would we see exactly? Just the new posts? All of the threads that had new posts? I'm not sure I understand how that would differ from just coming to the site and choosing "new posts".

For example I use rss reader(stand-alone application) and have 50+ rss feed sources that I follow and read daily. I only get a teaser from the "news" ( in this case forum topic or post ) and if I am interested in the rest of the "story" I click and visit that website to read the rest of the "story".

I see how rss feeds will only be usable for some people but since rss feeds are really not that hard on server and I see beesource works quite good I vote for rss feeds. I am sure some people will use those.
    Some people (like me) will also put some feeds from this forum to their websites and label it Top Bar Hive Discussions or something ....
    Sig

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Do you want the BeeSource site to export RSS Feeds so that you can subscribe to forums in your feed readers, or do you want to see external feeds displayed within BeeSource? Or both?

- Barry
    I'm still trying to get my hands around what this actually looks like or means. Any volunteers to help explain this to a e-illiterate would be most appreciated.
    To everything there is a season....

Go to http://www.apple.com/

At the bottom you will see an "RSS Feeds" button. Click it and see what Apple offers as feeds. Click on any one of them. Beesource would be pretty much the same. I think I would set it up so every forum had its own feed. You subscribe and the feeds would be part of your reader. Hope this helps.

- Barry

>I think I would set it up so every forum had its own feed.

I think I'd prefer to have all the fora in one feed. I'd save it as a live-bookmark and have a convenient page of new posts.

If each forum had it's own feed, I'd have to click through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Scannell View Post
    >I think I would set it up so every forum had its own feed.

I think I'd prefer to have all the fora in one feed. I'd save it as a live-bookmark and have a convenient page of new posts.

If each forum had it's own feed, I'd have to click through them.
    It would be cool if both feeds ( for seperate forums and beesource all together) would be enabled....
    Sig

I would love to see BeeSource in my reader! I don't know how it all works, but if you could export all of the forums except the TailGater that would be awesome!

I'm still in the dark about what this means. Is this something we would recieve in an email? Would we still be able to just come to Beesource and browse through the forums?

Quote Originally Posted by berkshire bee View Post
    I'm still in the dark about what this means. Is this something we would recieve in an email? Would we still be able to just come to Beesource and browse through the forums?
    Of course forum stays the same. Admins only "allow" you to subscribe to the rss feed of the website when they include rss feature. This option does not interfere with how forum works for you when you browse here in any way !
    Although some email clients have rss subscribing option I like to use stand alone app like for exaple rss reader - http://www.rssreader.com/rssreader.htm
    In the rss reader you add various rss feeds from websites and when there is new article on the website you are subscribed you get kind of teaser of the news or article and if you want you then visit website and read it.

Am I making any sense ?
    Sig

Any update on RSS thing ?
    Sig

Default Re: RSS Feeds

So, was this functioning added? I would like to use RSS and google reader to track selected forums. Not seeing any rss links here.
    Thanks!