Default adding supers and feeding...and ants

Hi All
    On one of my hives I added a super and a month later they weren't drawing out comb. Now they have about 4 frames drawn and the other frames are empty. I switched empty frames to foundationless, and I added a quart of feed. I went back 2 days later and feed was gone. Gave them another quart yesterday and today it's gone. I gave it so they will draw out empty frames, but could they be using it in the honey comb? Should I stop feeding? The area does have some kind of nectar run starting.

I have 2 other hives I want to add supers, second honey super for each (though I did remove the excluders so those first supers might start holding brood too) and they are loaded with bees, drawn comb that I didn't inspect but I'm sure they hold some honey. Can I feed them til new comb is drawn?

Also there have been some posts about ants. Yesterday I found bull ants and fire ants on and in my two weak hives (which I'm feeding) including seeing an ant taking away a bee. I had a small jar of cinnamon with me and had just enough to sprinkle around one of the hives. I lost a hive this year to bull ants. I went back today with more cinnamon and borax traps for those two hives, I placed under the hives as they are on cinder blocks. I was pleased to see that at the hive I'd sprinkled cinnamon, very few ants! it works! Plus we had a short rain yesterday but it didn't wash it all away.

Default Re: adding supers and feeding...and ants

The bees draw out comb when they feel they need the extra space. For new colonies, I feed until they have drawn comb on 2 deeps (or whatever you use to overwinter). If I have honey supers on, I don't feed. Period.

Stop feeding! We're having the best cabbage palm flow in years right now. If you have excluders on take them off until the comb is drawn. Brood in the supers is no big deal; you can get rid of it later by placing the brood frames above an excluder until it emerges.

Thanks FS--you just saved me alot of time and syrup.

I wondered though, on my two weak hives that are still building comb for brood, still working on deep box, should I stop feeding them too? Makes sense that I should stop on those too and let them get it themselves. Population of about 3-4 solid seams each. One has a lazy queen which is why I started feeding again and gave them a frame of comb that had 1/2 brood. The other hive has more drawn comb but not such a good population. Bull ants got some of them on both those hives. No more bull ants.

Umm, cabbage palm is everywhere right? My hives are in the Alva area, out in farm country. I haven't learned to distinguish different palm trees yet.