Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Using Mite Away Quick Strips + Results

Your treatment period is done.
    The mites that drop for the next 10 days are dead ones that emerging bees drag out of the cells.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Quote Originally Posted by PappyMAINEiac View Post
    Morning day 3 1 dead bee. 2 pupa Weather sunny 69 Deg
    Sounds like the cooler weather worked in your benefit pappy! I bet if had been warmer, you would have seen a lot more dead bees. I think the MAQS temp ranges are off. I have not tried the cooler end of the spectrum, but the max temps for the treatment should not exceed 75 degrees with better results below 70 degrees. The patty seems to release too much formic acid fumes when above that range. Just my opinion....

Quote Originally Posted by nativesong View Post
    Sounds like the cooler weather worked in your benefit pappy! I bet if had been warmer, you would have seen a lot more dead bees. I think the MAQS temp ranges are off. I have not tried the cooler end of the spectrum, but the max temps for the treatment should not exceed 75 degrees with better results below 70 degrees. The patty seems to release too much formic acid fumes when above that range. Just my opinion....
    I agree. I think the cool temps and rain keeping them in with the strips seems to have had a bonus effect of not killing alot of bees. Well under 100 total. I can't wait to change the BB for a nice clean one.

Quote Originally Posted by nativesong View Post
    You won't find me sniffing formic acid pads any time in the near future (and I don't recommend that anyone sniffs caustic chemicals, EVER)...
    I say that also. but, I put the left over formic I mixed up last year in a mason jar and did not label it. Opened it to see if the SW has spoiled and why there was a jar of SW in my cabnet and sniffed. WHOOOOOO was that an eye opener. Pretty glad I did not pour it into the larger SW and put it on top of the hives as feed. Teach me to not label things.

Also what about pulling the queens and banking them during the treatment so none die. Then re-introduce her. For small operations that would work just fine. For me 100 hives or people with more that might not work so easily.

Question: I just treated my hive (2 deeps) with Mite-away quick strips. The temp. when I put them in was in the upper 60's. A large bundle of bees did not return to the hive and are just hanging on the honey super. They stayed out all night (probably got down in low 50's upper 40's) and this morning it is lightly raining. They are still there. Is this typical?

Quote Originally Posted by susanhall View Post
    They are still there. Is this typical?
    Yep. They will go back in after about 24 hours.
    Raising Vermont Bees one mistake at a time.
    USDA Zone 5A

Thanks. I didn't see this last year so got a bit worried.

This is my first year with MAQS. I used Nod's pads in the past with good results. From a sugar roll test, one of my hives was choked with mites. The next test a couple weeks later revealed a count of six or tolerably on the low side from what I read.

Since the bees regulate hive temperature, I look for seasonal temperature below their "thermostat" but above initiating cluster or similar slowdown.

I also feel varroa is about control, not elimination and the best defense against them and all other invaders is strong healthy colonies.

I say colonies after recently losing all but one strong hive out of five. I bought packages to build up, but they both failed. The survivor went bonkers. I suspect I intercepted a swarm when I made two splits from four queen cells. Those three hives gave me two more this year via an early split and massive swarm. I'll make splits again next year, but five hives are as much as I desire.

Quote Originally Posted by throrope View Post
    I also feel varroa is about control, not elimination and the best defense against them and all other invaders is strong healthy colonies.
    Control.......yes. As to the best defense against them is a strong, healthy colony? That's maybe true of some invaders (but not always) but from my personal experience, not true about mites.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12