Evening #1- Application
I tried Mite Away Quick Strips for the first time today in 4 hives, each with double 10" deep brood supers (2 treatment pads between both brood supers), a queen excluder, a 10" deep honey super, a top inner cover and lid. Everything went smooth. I replaced SBB (screened bottom board) plastic insert for treatment. The funny thing is that several drones conjugated at hive entrance after. Everything looks good. No dead bees (YET). Will check in the morning for varroa mite drop on the SSB inserts.
Out of the 4 test hives on the first morning, there were about 100 dead bees on each of the hive entrances. It's still early, so I will keep you updated on the foraging later today. There were an equal amount of dead varroa mites on the SSB. It it a heavy duty treatment, make no doubt about it. But a mite free hive has to be stronger in the long run.
Morning/ Day #2
Bee deaths are starting to subside. We now have a combined total (morning #1 and morning #2 ) of around 200-300 dead bees and 5 dead brood larvae at each hive entrance. Like I said before, this product may be deemed 'natural', but it is a serious chemical and should be taken seriously. It appears to be doing its job, I have counted numerous mites on the SBBs and I know that there are probably many dead in the comb that I cant yet count. Current estimated total varroa mite count is approximately 400 mites per hive found dead on the SBB since initial application (currently 2 days).
I will keep you updated...