Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dispensing Bulk Honey

I own a market and want to dispense bulk honey. I need a tank and valve setup that will allow people to fill their own containers. I know, I know, there will be some waste, but I'll deal with that later. What I need are some suggestions for brands of small tanks (10 gallons or less) and valves/gates that would work in a retail environment. I don't want to use the regular gate valves as they would be way too prone to accidents. So far, I'm most interested in the 1 1/2" Perfect Gate from Brushy Mountain

Default Re: Dispensing Bulk Honey

If you are looking for a plastic tank, U.S. Plastics is hard to beat:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=835

Browse around their selection of Tamco tanks - hundreds of varieties in several plastics, many FDA approved. You can add a honey gate to most any of them.

I have the cheap plastic honey gate from Brushy Mountain on a 5-gallon plastic bucket and it works great:

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/834/

However, the "Perfect Gate" looks like it would be a lot easier to work with, ESPECIALLY if you sre going to let people fill their own containers. (With the cheap valve, you have to apply hand pressure or tighten wingnut between fills, or honey will leak).

Check the dripless valve not cheap but will last.
    http://www.maxantindustries.com/tools.html

If one keeps honey warm enuf to use a heated tank, like a bottling tank, as a dispenser of honey in a store, eventually the honey will darken and the flavor may be effected. The stores I sell to dispense honey out of the 5 gallon plastic tote in which I deliver the honey to them. a plastic gate is used. Maybe like the one you mentioned.

One outlet has a tank on a heat pad, set really low. But, they go thru 3 or 4 totes per month. so the honey isn't in the tank very long. This tank has the spout or gate built in. I don't know anything else about it.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Look at wine/beer bottling shops for bottling ideas.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homeb...g-buckets.html

I would look into a carboy. You fill it with honey and seal the mouth securely with two tubes going through the cap. A small tube that reaches the bottom and a short large tube that will dispense the honey. You can use a plastic pet cock or ball valve to stop dispensing. Invert the car boy and pump air in the top with a hand pump through the small tube to dispense.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I think you aught to try that Acebird and get back to us on how well it works. You coulkd have something there.

Yeah, I would especially like be there when you turn the carboy over and the cap pops off.......
    Last edited by Nabber86; 07-21-2011 at 08:16 AM.

You have to seal the cap because you are putting it under a slight pressure. I don't think anything you do should be out of eye sight because some ying yang can find a way to make a mess in a hurry.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I think you aught to try that Acebird and get back to us on how well it works. You coulkd have something there.
    Simple things like this I don't need to try. I know it will work. If you want me to prove it to you it will cost you my time.
    Brian Cardinal

Dispensing from a carboy looks like this
    http://americasbeekeeper.org/sept%2010%20054.jpg
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

The carboy I am thinking of would be glass so you can see the pure honey. Caps and what not should be available at any brew maker and wine supply house.
    Brian Cardinal

You are talking about a 5-gallon glass carboy like the kind that is used to make homebrew in? I have serveral that I have brewed beer in for years.

http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Glass-C.../dp/B000E60GYK

A couple of problems that I see:

1. Carboys are dangerous because they are glass, even when empty (ask my wife about going to the ER for stitches after an empty one shattered when it lightly hit the kitchen sink).
    2. Glass carboys are really slippery when wet. Beleive it or not, washing a carboy is extremley dangerous. Go to any home brew forum and search for "broken carboy" or "shattered carboy".
    3. 5 gallons of honey weighs about 60 pounds. Ever try to lift a 60 pound carboy (they have no handles and are impossible to grip)?
    4. Ever try to turn a 60 pound carboy upside down? I have hefted many carboys filled with beer (only about 40 pounds) and couldnt imagine trying to turn one upside down.
    5. The pressure exerted on the cap from the weight of the honey is only a few psi, but the there are no threads on the spout of a carboy. You cant just stick 2-hole rubber stopper in it and expect it to hold. I suppose enough duct tap and bailing wire could be used to make a temporary seal, but that would not look good in a commercial environment.
    6. If you notice how a carboy is constructed, you will see that the bottom is convex, just like a champaigne bottle, but to a lesser degree. Do you know why this is? Greater strength from the pressure above. When you turn a carboy over, you just created a vessel with a severely concave bottom. And I do mean SEVERELY concave. How much do you compromise the strength of a carboy by filling it with honey and inverting it? I imagine the the slightest "clink" from a hard object (wedding ring on someones finger? Kid with his mommies cars keys in his hands?) would cause a disaster.
    7. You describe pumping air into the carboy to get the honey out? That means more pressure inside the carboy. (See 5 and 6 above).
    8. Carboys ARE NOT desiged as pressure vessels, even if it is only a few psi (see 7 above). Ever see a the carboy full of beer expload when the the blow-off vent gets clogged with brew crud? Not pretty and it only takes a tiny amount of pressure.
    Last edited by Nabber86; 07-21-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

A carboy is rough at the bottom for a reason and its not to turn it upside down!! hahaha Plus it was mentioned at the beginning that it would be going into a market and to me safety would be the #1 priority!! I would go with a 10 gal plastic tank with a non-drip valve at the bottom!...IMHO

http://www.greatglas.com/AspiratorBo...FQvKKgod3WAzwg

Bla, bla, bla, buy one of these at what ever size you can lift and you don’t have to invert it.
    Brian Cardinal

Yeah, that glass hose barb on the bottom will last about 1 day before it snaps off (I have also worked with a lot of lab glass). And the biggest one they offer is only 9 liters and comes with a 5/8" OD barb that is made for rubber tubing (figure about 3/8" ID for the honey to flow through). All for only $250 (imagine the shipping cost on top of that).

Try again Ace.

Not designed for pressure?

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~work...2/CO2Push.html
    Looks like pressure to me.

You must be drinking too much of that stuff you have been fermenting.
    Brian Cardinal

yeah that 9000 ml bottle is what 2.3 gallons at $245.00??

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    If you want me to prove it to you it will cost you my time.
    Of no interest to me at all. I just think you shoulkd do it and report the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Not designed for pressure?

http://www.physics.arizona.edu/~work...2/CO2Push.html
    Looks like pressure to me.

You must be drinking too much of that stuff you have been fermenting.
    What one idiot on the internet does with his carboy is his business.

Carboys are not designed for pressure, period. Why dont you do something intelligent like checking the pressure specifications of a carboy from a manufacturer?