Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    224

    Default Help identifying 2 bees

    We have a several lavender bushes in our yard that are not only covered in honeybees but several alternative pollinators. I recognize many of them, but I'm having a hard time identifying 2. Hopefully my photos are enough to help identify them.

    The first looks almost tiger striped and is very mellow. Keeps to itself. Approximately 1/2 larger than a honeybee.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Help identifying 2 bees

    The next is more interesting... It hovers horizontally, and spends about 80% of it's time crashing into other bees and knocking them off the flowers. The other 20% it sits on the flowers. Looks almost metallic.





    Right before crashing into a honeybee:




  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Urbana, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Help identifying 2 bees

    Nice pics.

    Both bees are leafcutter bees (Megachilidae), as evidenced by the thick pollen scoops (=scopa) on the underside of the abdomen. I think the second one in particular is the wool carder bee, Anthidium manicatum, an introduced species well known for bullying other bees at flowers.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help identifying 2 bees

    I second Alex's ID definitely a leafcutter and a carder bee.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: Help identifying 2 bees

    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. Neat little bees; they are absolutely fascinating to watch!

    So Megachilidae gather pollen on their abdomen instead of their legs? Very neat.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads