Default New Queen cells/cups - time until laying?

Well I am fairly certain my fears about accidentally crushing my queen were valid. I looked yesterday and found two queen cells built on one frame, just about opposite each other on either side. Not quite half way down, just about in the middle of the frame. My question is... realistically in my location, how long until 1) the queen emerges from the cell 2) How long until she starts laying eggs. 3) Some of the books I read say queens raised this way are usually poor queens. Is there any validiity to this statement?

Thanks.

Dan

Default Re: New Queen cells/cups - time until laying?

If it is a good strong hive, why would she be? If it was a weak hive, I'd agree. A lot of folks start re queening this time of year. New queen, break in brood cycle for mites, no brood to feed, more stores for winter. I just found one of my hives superceded their queen. I'd been expecting it as she was the last of 5 queens I bought and all went that route. I'm kinda excited as I'll get to see a new queen perform a little before cold sets in. As always, just MHO.

The reason given in the two books I read was that supercedure during periods of dearth will not have raise queens with enough stores, having a smallish undernourished queen. I guess you are right, a strong hive with good stores would have enough to feed a queen. I hope your and my supercedure go well.

Dan

I would interpret that as the dif between a strong hive, and a weak hive.
    Thanks, good luck to you as well. I really believe you and your bees will be much happier with THEIR queen. Just been my experience.

Queen emerges at day 16 from the egg. If the bees chose a larva that was one day old (4 days from the egg) then your queen would emerge 12 days after you killed your original queen. She could be laying 2 weeks after she emerges ... or about 4 weeks after you killed your queen.
    If a colony splits in the wild, who is there to walk away?