Default More problems....help

Well, I'm back on the forum again. I went into one of my hives last week and saw my marked queen doing her thing. Went in today, and I think I checked pretty close all frames and didn't see her at all. i guess I could have missed her, but I'm not thinking so. I saw a larvae dead on the landing board, and thought I should check it out. I see what appears to be some drone cells, capped over. Up in the upper medium super, where I last saw her, there is drawn comb in there, and some larvae. I don't see alot of action outside in the afternoons like my other hive. I'm wondering if I'm queenless AGAIN. Just got this queen in the hive on the 29th of last month.

Default Re: More problems....help

Did you see eggs?
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

I think I saw some. Not sure. I'm just real stinking upset at this point

Stop searching for the queen, your are disturbing the bees every time you pull all the fames and that can lead to the queen not laying for days on end. You may even roll her in between frames and kill her. You see capped brood then you are fine. Eggs are hard to see, but you may see larva. Really keep it to a minimum. Pulling up one frame every 2 weeks is more then enough to see issues. At that time you may open up some drone cells to look for mites. A good digital image may also be useful to see issues.
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

I would give it a few days and check for eggs/brood. If it's there, you have a queen. If not, the bees will take care of it if they had eggs or 4 day old brood when the queen was lost. It's always best to look for evidence of a queen, and not try to find her every inspection. Don't forget that the info here is opinion, I've never had a queen stop laying because I did an inspection. Most people recommend inspection every 10-14 days. It's your hive, look as much as you want so you can learn! It's the best way to learn. Just be aware that you can harm the queen anytime you go in there. I bet you won't go in nearly as much next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Katharina View Post
    Stop searching for the queen, your are disturbing the bees every time you pull all the fames and that can lead to the queen not laying for days on end. You may even roll her in between frames and kill her. You see capped brood then you are fine. Eggs are hard to see, but you may see larva. Really keep it to a minimum. Pulling up one frame every 2 weeks is more then enough to see issues. At that time you may open up some drone cells to look for mites. A good digital image may also be useful to see issues.
    Thanks so much for your help.